Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wish they'd make a home sewing machine-- >

I wish they'd make a home sewing machine--

I wish they'd make a home sewing machine--

Old 03-06-2010, 04:24 PM

The new berninas have a stitch count. You can go into the program and see how many stitches are on the machine.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:27 PM

I totally agree about the bobbin size.!!!!! I went to the quilting festival here in NJ was able to play with some of the machines and even the long arms and I was surprised that they even have small bobbins.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Bev-
Did you get the bendable bright light? I have a Janome that's about 5 years old and the light is dim, as well.
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:52 PM

Great idea and great discussion!! Maybe the machine makers read these boards and will do something! My wish is for bigger bobbins and also more light. But as a newbie older quilter looking for an inexpensive machine, I also need something lightweight (but not all plastic) that is easy to carry. Fibercarbon?!!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by lots2do
Bev-
Did you get the bendable bright light? I have a Janome that's about 5 years old and the light is dim, as well.
Thanks!
Yeah, I got a bendable. It's great even though when you first look at it, it doesn't seem like it would put out much light. But it really zeroes in on the area you're working on and is very helpful. I also use it to read in bed at night and it works well for that too. Doesn't disturb DH either. Costs about $10.00 with no S&H, from Amazon.com. It can clamp or stand alone.

8-)
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Feed dogs about 6" long! Maybe then my seams would stay straight, especially at the end! :-)
Yes! also an easier way to insert new needles; my Euro-Pro is built with the needle section so far back and low that I have to place the machine on its back to find the hole to insert a new needle.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Oh yes I want one with better lighting on it and bigger bobin and a needle down and yes I would love one of those quilt long arms. but that will never happen so longer arm on my sewing machine and yes flatter sewing machine because I cant aford to get a table. oh this is fun.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 PM

I love everyones Ideas.. that would be one great sewing machine
Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
My wishes for a standard sewing machine: Needle up or down feature, a bigger bobbin for sure as well as a loud beeper when the bobbin has a yard of thread left on it, a larger throat- about a foot would be nice, speed control for fmq, bobbin winding without unthreading the machine. I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's it for now.
i got myself one of those "sidewinder" things....when i'm using a neutral thread, i can rewind with a different spool than is on the machine....so sometimes i get out of retheading the machine....love that when it happens.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 PM

The Pfaff Expression has most of what you ladies are wishing for; big throat space (10") led light in middle of throat, needle/up down, presser foot is controlled by the foot control; it also comes with a knee lift; has the built in IDT (walking foot) that prevents those longer edges when you get to the end of your seam; two spool holders; thread cutter for bobbin winding area, wind bobbin through the needle without unthreading machine; low bobbin alert; 222+ built in embroidery stitches; built-in needle threader; (the secret to the built-in needle threaders working is that the needle has to be in the middle position and up as high as it will go); is very quiet (not as quiet as my 2056 was, but sews quiet); has a speed control; easy free motion quilting (you can also buy that table thing that moves your fabric around from Pfaff, which I don't have or want). This machine is one of Pfaff's tols; and, if you're not happy with the Expression 4.0 you can always move up to the Creative Vision which is the chariot of machines, as I understand, but it does come with at least a 6 or 7 thousand dollar price tag plus any extra software you want to throw on it.