Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flat felled vs conventional seam >

Flat felled vs conventional seam

Flat felled vs conventional seam

Old 12-12-2021, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

If you intend to send it to a longarmer , ask their preference.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:28 AM

From the old days I was always taught to avoid seams right down the middle of the quilt due to folding and considerations like that. If your fabric was wide enough that you only needed two widths, you had one width that was full down the middle, and then the other you split into two pieces, with one half width on either side of the full widths. Back in the days of 36" wide yardage, it was three full widths of the fabric going horizontally for the typical length.
I remember my mom doing this. That must be 50-60-years ago! She's been gone a long time now. Thanks for reminding me. I think that's what I'll do with mine--a full width across the center and 2 narrower ones across the sides, so that the backing is horizontal. I do remember Gram telling me the backing would wear better without a center seam, so there must be something to that, too.

It amazes me all the old, half-forgotten memories that quilting stirs up. That may be the best part of quilting, don't you think?

Last edited by RustyOne; 12-12-2021 at 10:32 AM. Reason: 'cause I can't spell
Old 12-12-2021, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

I prefer the wide backings but will piece when I have to. Usually use a wider seam but not always.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RustyOne View Post
I remember my mom doing this. That must be 50-60-years ago! She's been gone a long time now. Thanks for reminding me. I think that's what I'll do with mine--a full width across the center and 2 narrower ones across the sides, so that the backing is horizontal. I do remember Gram telling me the backing would wear better without a center seam, so there must be something to that, too.

It amazes me all the old, half-forgotten memories that quilting stirs up. That may be the best part of quilting, don't you think?

ah yes. The 36” wide fabric. We called it “material” and went to the “material” store where all the bolts were behind the counter and the ladies took them down for consideration and sometimes lost patience with indecision. Then they used that machine to measure as they pulled it through and nicked it and they tore it.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:31 AM

A flat-felled seam would also add bulk and maybe a bit of stiffness that could make the quilt less snuggly.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:30 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I started to do a year ago and love the security it gives me! My seam allowance is now 3/8"!! Happy me!
Old 02-06-2022, 02:36 PM

3/8" seam pressed to the sides - selvages off, of course.

Iceblossom - off topic - What are you using for batting? I like a fluffier one and am having trouble finding one I like. Polyester is fine with me.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:55 PM

I went to look at my roll of batting and it still has the tags on it. It was a commercial roll (so 25 yards which is about 6-8 quilts), I bought it when I had access to my friend's long arm. I got it on a great sale from an on-line discounter (It was under 200 delivered), but this seems to be the manufacturer:

https://airlitemanufacturing.com/the...ting-on-rolls/

I judged it by ounces/length, this is 12 oz per 100 inches.

I was very happy with it, down to one last top remaining Not sure what I will do next. A commercial roll is a lot of batting to commit to, and store, and I was lucky that it worked out for me.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:58 PM

Not Iceblossom, but lately Poly-Fil Extra Loft 100% polyester. So far I've had excellent results.