Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Farmer's Wife 1920 Sampler >

Farmer's Wife 1920 Sampler

Farmer's Wife 1920 Sampler

Old 12-20-2021, 02:46 PM

Question Farmer's Wife 1920 Sampler

Just got this book as a gift, and no way I am cutting up little 1" triangles! I can paper piece, though. I've done Sue Garman's Washington Star and Halo Medallion quilts (love medallions!) and I've got Stars for a New Day pattern just in the wings.

But all I can find is the templates and EPP. EQ used to have it, but they no longer sell it.

Right now my best best is Carol Doak's instructions for how to design a paper pieced block. It will be a long row to hoe, no pun intended!

Does anyone know of a Farmer's Wife paper-piece kit I can buy? I don't need the book or the fabric.

Thanks, folks!

Sue
Old 12-20-2021, 02:58 PM

My Farmer's Wife book came with a CD that had all the patterns on it. I would think that would make drawing out the paper pieced blocks easier.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:29 PM
Gay

You can freely download patterns for 6" blocks, not sure if they are all paper piecing. Susan Gatewood used EQ to make them. I would rather make mine 6" and not 3", as I still have the 365 Day Challenge to finish and couldn't handle any more 3" blocks.

Farmers Wife 6" blocks
Old 12-20-2021, 06:25 PM

Thank you for the thread SueSew and that great link Gay!
Old 12-21-2021, 04:16 AM

Oh, my goodness! I started the Farmer's Wife quilt four years ago with my quilting group. I have about 85 of the blocks done but have been stalled for some time. Start stall, start stall but with the chart and links I may be able to finish..... by spring Thank you a billion times over. PP is not my favorite but I can do it!. I think my printer will be humming printing the remaining blocks.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
You can freely download patterns for 6" blocks, not sure if they are all paper piecing. Susan Gatewood used EQ to make them. I would rather make mine 6" and not 3", as I still have the 365 Day Challenge to finish and couldn't handle any more 3" blocks.

Farmers Wife 6" blocks
Awesome - thanks for link! (Whoa - I just realized that she's got them numbered and the complex ones have multiple pieces so I don't even have to work from the 6" diagram. Duh, Sue!)

I would never do a 3"block, OMG! Wow. I will have to go look up your posts on the 365 day challenge.

Some of the FWS 9-patch constructions have two or more HST in a patch and that's enough to get me jittery.

Last edited by SueSew; 12-21-2021 at 05:34 AM. Reason: light dawned over Marble-head
Old 12-21-2021, 06:32 AM

I have been trying to print the blocks I need to finish my quilt. Some of them only print one portion of the block but not all that are on the page. Some print just fine. More challenges to get to the finish.

Any tech folk out there who can give suggestions? The problem could be the user, me and my printer.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 12-21-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I have been trying to print the blocks I need to finish my quilt. Some of them only print one portion of the block but not all that are on the page. Some print just fine. More challenges to get to the finish.

Any tech folk out there who can give suggestions? The problem could be the user, me and my printer.
Are you doing the link Farmers Wife 6" blocks ?

If you are, let me know which don't work and I will give it a try. Maybe the PDF you downloaded got corrupted somehow?
Old 12-23-2021, 01:27 PM

Question Farmer's Wife 1920's Sampler Colors?

Now I've got the paper piecing patterns, thanks to Gay, does anyone have any suggestions about color? I've never done a sampler so no clue on how to give it some coherence. The closest I've been is a crocheted granny afghan done when a child, which was all bright clear stained-glass tones of every color, and a black background. Not sure that would work here. I've a good sized stash and I could work with it, just don't know how to select.

Thanks!
Sue
Old 12-23-2021, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Now I've got the paper piecing patterns, thanks to Gay, does anyone have any suggestions about color? I've never done a sampler so no clue on how to give it some coherence. The closest I've been is a crocheted granny afghan done when a child, which was all bright clear stained-glass tones of every color, and a black background. Not sure that would work here. I've a good sized stash and I could work with it, just don't know how to select.

Thanks!
Sue

My mom and I are both doing one and we are using Civil war fabrics….