Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-27-2021, 07:19 PM

Iceblossom,
My view down in Tacoma looks the same. I spent most of my day keeping an eye on the hummingbird feeders.
My roads are horrible.
I'm good if I even get the clue cut and Ziplocked away...
Kirsten
Old 12-28-2021, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Suern3: Your clue 5 units look lovely. It’s so much fun once they start feeling like quilt blocks!
Thank you!!! SuzSLO for the concise easy to follow how to (from yesterday) instructions on private message procedures.
Am using a ruler & some careful rotary cutting to match the acuquilt die cut pieces that I have sewn. Yes some improvising.

Suern3, thanks ever so much for your posting of clue 5 blocks.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:09 AM

Wow, look at Suern3 go!

I spent most of my activity time yesterday trying to find Covid testing for the hubby so he can go back to work. In good news, he is getting better each day but since he reported it, he can't go back to work until 10 days/negative test. Neither of us expected him to be home right now... we are keeping separated as much as we can. I have zero symptoms.

Today I'm going to get started on the clue. Still cold, no melting of the snow, we got a sprinkling more overnight as well.

Scuba -- Prini and her brother Harley came from Tacoma. We got them just before the start of Covid, in January 2020 -- there was a terrible storm and that was the day we got the dogs. We had a bonded dog, Buddy, who had lost his partner Sandy. Buddy really was not doing well as a solo dog and needed a pack. These two dogs are a little smaller than I prefer, but they had lost their owner and needed a home together and we needed a pack. They have been such a wonderful addition to the household, gave Buddy a pack when he needed them. Bud died a couple of months ago, and our cat made it to Jan 1 2021 and decided he had enough, so we are down from a household of 5 pets to just the two.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:20 AM

Here is a sample of all of the clues to date, including the latest. I'm replacing the aqua with green, and have narrowed it down from five to two. Is there one that seems to work better? Any help deciding would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RT Clue 5a.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	636975   Click image for larger version

Name:	RT Clue 5b.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	636976  
Old 12-28-2021, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by woodland creature View Post
Here is a sample of all of the clues to date, including the latest. I'm replacing the aqua with green, and have narrowed it down from five to two. Is there one that seems to work better? Any help deciding would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
All your blocks are lovely and would work well with either green. Sorry. I’m no help.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:33 AM

woodland creature, it's such fun seeing all of your units together, they look great! I'm voting for the right hand green, as more in keeping with your bright oranges (although I agree that either would look good).
Old 12-28-2021, 03:03 PM

woodland creature, pretty colors you have chosen and fun to see your units! I think I like the green on the left. It seems to give a little more contrast and movement. Of course, they are both pretty. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:47 PM

Sorry Woodland Creature -- Another non-helpful vote on the Green/Aqua. I have a slight preference for the right but both work very nicely. I remain completely undecided for myself although I have a few pulled out...

I am making good progress on this step. There are some good reasons for building the blocks the way Bonnie has it, but I started with decapitating my pink triangles and putting on the (oversized) neutral (white) triangles on the ends. I have all of those units made, and attached to a set from the Clue 3 sub-units. In the process of sewing them together.

Usually I force myself to go in strict random order, but with this reasonable number of sets, I matched fabrics. I didn't count or plan out ahead in terms of pinks/purples, other than I wanted about 1/3 purple. I decided to put together these two sets of clues as close to possible by color/value. Most of the sets are either pink or purple, but I didn't have quite the right number of combinations, but I'm happy with the combos.

I won't have a picture ready of this clue for a couple of days, so here's the last clue showing my Garnet hourglasses along with the "gift" pieces up top... I don't know yet what I'll do with them, but there is a pieced rose in the Ruby McKim patterns (one of the newspaper columns and my first quilt book) that might be put to use..

I get the big clips, 5 in a package, at the Dollar store. Keep threads out of the hinge area but these are great and can hold 2 pieces firmly, or large groups of 20 or more. They are bulky and heavy but easy to grip/open.

Name:	100_6260.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	938.4 KB
ID:	636986  
Old 12-28-2021, 07:07 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Woodland creatures I like them both. I too think the colors need some green to mix with them. I am using as much neutral with specks Of green as I can find.
is anyone else feeling that there would be a better way to make clue 5 than with an entire 41/2 square?Easy enough to cut but now I have to figure out how to use the slightly smaller leftover triangle. Any ideas?
I know we can cut the triangles using the ruler but I try to cut as much with a die so I can to save my hands for silver trimming!
Old 12-29-2021, 04:35 AM

Terry, the reason for cutting from a square is to give the proper bias directions. I elected to cut the large pink triangles into strips first -- but if you cut across the fabric in strips then the bias would be wrong. For the first step making the HST, I just trashed all my white/pink trimmings. This time I put the tiny trim triangles in a bag for my box for my crumb quilter, I know I'm not doing anything with them myself. I cut the white/neutral as triangles, slightly oversized but using less fabric than I would have with squares.

When I said I "matched" the fabrics, that doesn't mean I made this clue out of the same fabrics, just that I selected what fabric went with what instead of letting randomness control it. What I've found through my years of scrap quilting is that if I put together fabrics I like first, I end up with what I call "the double uglies" which are units/fabrics that didn't make the first go-round of connections and so you are left the ones that didn't work when you had all the choices and are even worse now. It's funny but I've found it's better for the quilt as a while to have a whole bunch of mediocre blocks than a couple great blocks. Usually the way I work I make a few extra units/blocks and sometimes my favorites don't make it into the final project because they didn't play well with others.

So I'm less than half way done -- but here's 4 of my selections.

Name:	Rhody 4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	663.2 KB
ID:	636991