Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
OK, OK, OK...WW, Here I Come >

OK, OK, OK...WW, Here I Come

OK, OK, OK...WW, Here I Come

Old 01-07-2022, 07:14 AM

I had gained so much weight in the past years that I was having trouble breathing when I bent over. I finally went to my doctor to have my thyroid checked as my sister has been on meds since she was in H.S. Anyway, yes, my thryroid wasn't working as it should so he put me on a low dose.....25mg to start with and I'm still on it. I love to eat which I know is one problem for me but this past year I've been cutting the size of helpings, walking more even in the cold season and I only eat a dessert on Sundays when I go to have dinner at my sister's. So far I've lost 25 lbs for the year. I was hoping for 30 but I'm happy with this. I didn't gain the weight over night so can't expect to lose it overnight. Hopefully I can keep this weight off during the winter time and then go for another 25-30 lbs this year. I'd say I'd love to see my H.S. weight but that's ridiculous so 10lbs above that would be fine by me. It's possible if I just cut my helpings and don't snack too much.

I've tried weight losing pills,etc no luck so decided to eat healthy, smaller helpings and exercise when I can. I make soups to eat during the winter time and they seem to help keep the weight down for me too. Mostly from my garden produce.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:03 AM

Another app some people might find helpful is MyFitnessPal. Some years ago I became aware that while I wasn't gaining tons of weight, my eating habits were far from healthy. I used MFP to log what I was eating and see the trends and made some changes from there. I definitely felt much better for it and more aware of how easy it would be for me to eat healthily and not have to deny my cravings at the same time. I know I have backslid somewhat during Covid but if I get worried again, I'll go back. There is a paid premium option but I only ever used the free version and found it sufficient for my needs.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
My doctor has been on me for the last year to lose weight. I do listen to her and have gone up and down on the scales. WW was a great program for me and it is something I can be successful with. My problem is I can't get out for meetings and weigh ins on a regular basis. I don't drive very much at all. So little that is should as well be in storage.
I have a lot to lose and it is a daunting task. A bit frightening to even try to start. Right now I eat what is here, I get out to the grocery store once every two months and that does not work for fresh veggies and fruit.
Best of everything on your journey.
I know...I so miss going to the grocery store to get veggies and fruit. If people would only wear their masks I might venture in, but alas, that is not going to happen no matter how bad this pandemic gets. I sure don't understand how wearing a mask "takes away their freedom" Them not wearing a mask has taken away mine. anyway, I can order frozen veggies and some fruits from Schwan's which delivers every two weeks and I also have been doing curbside pickup from Target. There are a few other stores that will also curbside pickup for a price. During the summer, I can pick raspberries, rhubarb, and apples. And I also grow cherry tomatoes, green beans, and leaf lettuce in pots. Last fall I got some wonderful squash at a roadside outdoor stand. I have to laugh at myself, as it was below zero this morning, I have found that my covid masks keep my nose warmer than wrapping a scarf around my head so there I am, outside brushing the snow and ice off my car with a Covid mask on. Masks definitely give me more freedom than they take away! Actually, on these very cold days, it is rare to see any child outside without some type of covering over their nose and mouth. I guess the fear of masks is a southern thing?
Old 01-07-2022, 06:47 PM

I have done WW off and on from about 1982 till maybe 2005 - I did OK but it became a bit more difficult when I was diagnosed with diabetes. And the plan was always changing (the early 1989s was horrible - liver was a necessity then😝&#128541. It was difficult for me to maintain what I was supposed to eat with what my husband would actually eat. I gave up when Oprah started with WW - no politics but I cannot stand her anymore. I stayed the same weight more or less for years - a year ago my Endochronologist put me in Ozempic and that was and still is magic for me. Along with helping my diabetes control, I also have lost about 20 or so pounds - I’m now 74 years and food is my drug of choice but I’ve finally lost the weight I needed to to stay healthy - I’m about 114lbs. now and feel so much better. I am a WW “winner” from way back - I have a key to prove that (they haven’t given them to members reaching their goal weight in many years). Taking the weight off wasn’t especially hard but I just couldn’t do maintenance when I reached or got near what I wanted to weigh. But I know there are many, many people who have had great success so it must still be a good program. I wish only the best for all of you that can do this program.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-07-2022, 07:07 PM

I know WW has been revamped. I quit because WW was not friendly for folks with Diabetes. There were too many carbs allowed at the time. Also, I was put off by the constant marketing of the "snacks" they sold. I did write to the company stating that what they were doing was not very helpful to diabetics. I know they changed things up a bit. I had a friend who used to do meetings but stopped because of some of the changes. I think they stopped doing the awards and stuff...but I don't really know. I know they have helped some people. Now, I no longer make any dietary changes unless it is something I think I can stick to for the rest of my life. I am about 40 pounds less than my heaviest and have maintained that for over 15 years. I still could lose more. But I am happy about the 40 that are gone and that I have been able to maintain that. More veggies have helped as has really cutting out eating out. It is almost impossible to get a restaurant meal that is healthy. Looking at local menus and the calories most restaurant meals are easily over 1000 calories and lack greatly in veggies, they depend on fried coatings or heavy sauces or too much bread. I cook most of my own meals and really do not eat many convenience foods as again, they contain too much added sugars and fats.

Last edited by sewingpup; 01-07-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Another app some people might find helpful is MyFitnessPal. Some years ago I became aware that while I wasn't gaining tons of weight, my eating habits were far from healthy. I used MFP to log what I was eating and see the trends and made some changes from there. I definitely felt much better for it and more aware of how easy it would be for me to eat healthily and not have to deny my cravings at the same time. I know I have backslid somewhat during Covid but if I get worried again, I'll go back. There is a paid premium option but I only ever used the free version and found it sufficient for my needs.
I use Fitness Pal and find it user friendly…I bumped up to the Premium last year because it syncs my workout calories (Map my Walk) to my daily diary without having to enter them manually. I like that you can scan items in with their QR code reader.

Good luck on your WW journey and I’m sure it will be nice also having your daughter doing it too.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:58 AM

Recipes please???
Old 01-08-2022, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Recipes please???
One of the hard things about their latest change is that everyone's points and zero point foods are different, and it makes recipe sharing really hard. (That's why they called it Personal Points.) For some people brown rice and potatoes are zero point, for others avocado is zero point, some have zero point chicken and turkey, some don't have fruit as a zero point. WW has a quiz at the beginning and you get your zero points from the answers. So, sharing recipes or doing WW with a spouse can be a pain in the behind, unless you deliberately coordinate to take the quiz exactly the same... And even then there is no guarantee that you will both end up with the same amount of daily points. If you are doing it with your daughter, I would suggest asking her what her zero point foods are and seeing if you can work something out with her to be similar.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:36 AM

Best advice - focus on ONE thing at a time. Familiarize yourself with the food program - thenkmove on to sleep and exercise. And it takes... as long as it takes....
Using the newest incantation of WW is (slowly.... very slowly) working for me. Because it is personal points your best best for cooking is to take note of your FREE foods and base your meals around them. The recipes on the website are only staring points for me ... too much reliance on stuff that "I" don't consider food And I hope you have better luck putting your own recipes and meals in the app. I keep losing anything I input......
Save your more frequent and successful meals and repeat them often.
The rewards you can earn are now called Wellness Wins (or something like that) You get "wins" for tracking your food and exercise and sleep and then redeem for stuff from the catalog.
My focus right now is to increase my daily steps since I mostly eat healthy and tracking is a bear... Had a personal best of over 5000 just before Christmas - which doesn't sound like much till I remember that 5 years ago I was leaving my house in a wheelchair. And my daily average is about 3000 steps per day.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:33 AM

Any amount of exercise is still exercise. I usually average between 3000 and 5000 during the summer. Right now, I am averaging about I dunno, maybe 300. I am not carrying my phone as I trudge around the house. Wind chill was a negative 36 below this morning and right now at 1:30 pm it is a negative 23 wind chill, and absolute temp of a negative 4. I am a wimp! I saw a couple of folks out there walkng but not many today. Hopefully, It will warm up but I still don't get the steps in because of the slippery roads and high snowbanks with nowhere to go if cars come along. I sold my exercise bike because of my knees. So, now I just get to walk around in circles in the house on these cold days.