In a bad slump

Old 01-10-2022, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Perhaps a doctor/clinic visit to see if you are physicslly okay?

I have more or less abandoned sewing for a while - and the sun still seems to rise and set anyway.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:04 PM

My sewing/quilting mojo comes and goes sometimes. The last 2 years or so It’s been on vacation - I think it has to do with not having any meetings from my two guilds, and not being able to see my friends (all from quilt groups - I don’t have a single mom-quilter friend). Just didn’t feel like any kind of sewing - I also do hand appliqué and hand embroidery (redwork plus using other colors). If it hadn’t been for texting and emailing I wouldn’t have seen anyone at all except my husband. He truly,doesn’t understand quilting!!!!! Went to my first guild meeting to my large guild in a very long time today. It was wonderful to see people I know - the room is usually full but maybe barely half full. A few have passed away and some are just getting older and don’t get around as much. I missed the first meeting of 2022 in my smaller guild last Monday as we were still in our way back from Christmas in COLORADO with our family. Can’t wait to read the minutes if this meeting to find out what happened. Hope they didn’t vote on something I would have argued against (like last June when we were also in CO for our granddaughter’s 2nd birthday. Some thungs were decided that I didn’t agree with at all!!!!!

Your mojo (or sewjo!) will return in time!!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-10-2022, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Just wait! Nowhere does it say you HAVE to quilt all the time. Do something else you enjoy, or just read books. You will eventually get an idea and some excitement for something to quilt.

This time of year lots of us suffer from seasonal depression. The days are too short, too much darkness, too much time indoors where we aren't getting our vitamin D from the sun. A good cure for depression is often doing for others in need. Is there somewhere you could volunteer at, even just one day a week?

Wait it out... better days ahead!
Old 01-11-2022, 04:34 AM

It seems whenever I am not in a mood to sew, I organize my fabrics. By the time I'm done rearranging and organizing, I'm. Ready to sew again. I'm not consciencely thinking of anything as I work but I think handling different fabrics, some I haven't seen in a while, sparks an idea. If nothing else, you will have a neat and tidy area when you feel the urge to sew again. Until that time, cut yourself some slack and rest a while. I suffer from SAD and during the winter it is difficult for me keep focused on a particular quilt project. It used to frustrate me but I've learned to relax roll with it. All the COVID mess certainly doesn't help either. Perhaps just having a quilty friend you can chat with may help. I'd be happy to chat and if you think that would help just send me a PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
It seems whenever I am not in a mood to sew, I organize my fabrics. By the time I'm done rearranging and organizing, I'm. Ready to sew again. I'm not consciencely thinking of anything as I work but I think handling different fabrics, some I haven't seen in a while, sparks an idea. If nothing else, you will have a neat and tidy area when you feel the urge to sew again. Until that time, cut yourself some slack and rest a while. I suffer from SAD and during the winter it is difficult for me keep focused on a particular quilt project. It used to frustrate me but I've learned to relax roll with it. All the COVID mess certainly doesn't help either. Perhaps just having a quilty friend you can chat with may help. I'd be happy to chat and if you think that would help just send me a PM.
This is me too. I was in a slump for about 18 months. We moved, my things are still in some boxes and I started putting things away and organizing. I started the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt in November and it has brought me around.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

catsden- I'm sorry you're feeling this way but glad you are interacting here. Lots of good suggestions from the others.
I remember being in a slump several years ago but I don't recall the details. All I remember is one day I felt like sewing again. It lasted over a year which is a long time for me not to want to sew.
I don't know if your situation has anything to do with Covid but I've seen the most upbeat people struggling lately. My neighbor is a good example. She's a prolific quilter and a very upbeat lady. We talked yesterday and she's not interested in anything- so unlike her. We both love winter so it's not that.

Good luck, hon!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 01-11-2022 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:41 AM

As I get older I find that I don't feel like tackling big projects anymore. I still love to sew & quilt but am just not into making large quilts anymore (plus I have no one to make them for anymore). I stick to small projects & charity blocks and that fulfills my need.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 AM

For most of us, quilting is a hobby, not a job. So we should do whatever we wish and let our interests wax and wane. Maybe you just haven't found a project that excites you yet. Take it easy on yourself.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:27 AM

You are not alone. At my weekly quilting gathering we were saying we are having to push ourselves to sew lately. Maybe it is because of the covid and we are all mentally depressed. Anyway we agreed to keep going forward and not force ourselves, mojo will return. Carry on!
Old 01-12-2022, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I was in a slump but then joined several swaps on this board, wallhanging swap, table runner swap, secretpal swap, all 4 robins and now two BOOM swaps. It gives me a group of quilt buddies with a common goal and there are time lines. I do like accomplishing things and working on common goals with others.