Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting your quilt sandwich >

Basting your quilt sandwich

Basting your quilt sandwich

Old 01-14-2022, 02:01 PM

I use Elmer's washable school glue and a carpenter's roller glue bottle from Rockler. Basting is quick and easy; no chemical odors or overspray; no missing pins for the dogs to find on the floor; and NO puckers ever. I've done more than 100 quilts this way without even one pucker.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I thread baste baby quilts on my Qsnap floor frame. I pin baste bigger quilts or use Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt.
I use my floor frame to baste my large quilts. I have thread basted several bed size quilts on my qsnap floor frame. No getting on the floor
Old 01-15-2022, 11:31 AM

Another glue baster here. I bought a grooved sponge roller with a tray at the dollar store. It is meant for craft paint. I pour from a big jug and roll it on. The sponge washes up easily when I am done.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:01 AM

Sometimes my quilts sit basted for quite a while, especially if I finish them in the summer. I don't like sitting with a full quilt in my lap when it's so hot outside...and spray basting tends to loosen with time for me, plus it is a supply I have to buy for every quilt. I have been pin-basting the things I don't send off to be longarmed, but my space is small and i have been fighting puckers in the backing on larger projects. My mother hand quilts and using a mixture of pin and thread basting. she puts just enough pins in it to keep the layers together as she rolls it onto her frame, but as she rolls out a frame-wide section at a time, she removes the pins, smoothes the layers, and thread bastes with a contrasting embroidery thread for easy removal later. It seems like a lot of extra work to me, but she swears by it.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:40 AM

There is a good video on doing a quick baste of quilts on a longarm by Michael Quilts...really useful if you just want your quilt basted by a longarmer and returned to you for quilting yourself, eliminates pinning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toAhVyufcJc&t=2s