Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
finish a quilt??? >

finish a quilt???

finish a quilt???

Old 01-18-2022, 06:47 AM

Whenever someone asks me to do some sewing that is not quilting, I tell them that I am a "quilter", not a seamstress. If someone says something about me making them a quilt, I always just reply "You can't afford me". Seems to work.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:05 AM

Well this is hitting close to home. A lovely older member of our sewing group has asked me to finish two projects for her. She is willing to pay me and has always been very generous in that regard. She also told me that she would not be offended if I refused. The first project required a lot of opening and re-cutting (did I mention she is an 'older' member, bless her heart) but I am enjoying the process and the result is going to amaze her.

The second project is the problem. I know it is the one that she really loves, but it has many of the same issues and the pieces are significantly smaller. I am still mulling over my options and really really don't want to tell her how much her abilities have deteriorated.

If you cannot think of anyone who might want to take on your friend's project, she might find someone through your LQS or fabric store.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Well this is hitting close to home. A lovely older member of our sewing group has asked me to finish two projects for her. She is willing to pay me and has always been very generous in that regard. She also told me that she would not be offended if I refused. The first project required a lot of opening and re-cutting (did I mention she is an 'older' member, bless her heart) but I am enjoying the process and the result is going to amaze her.

The second project is the problem. I know it is the one that she really loves, but it has many of the same issues and the pieces are significantly smaller. I am still mulling over my options and really really don't want to tell her how much her abilities have deteriorated.

If you cannot think of anyone who might want to take on your friend's project, she might find someone through your LQS or fabric store.
A thought... rather than rip and recut the second project... could you perhaps change the direction of the project? If the pieces are going to make wonky blocks perhaps add borders to square them ... or convert to something similar to a Gypsy type quilt... or convert to a sampler? (I'd have to see pictures to really suggest something) It would preserve her work. Even if it isn't her best work, might it not be treasured as her work. Perfection is highly over-rated (I should have that stitched as my motto)
Old 01-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I always support folks who can say what they will or will not do whether they can or not. I’ve said No to a number of friends who ask for something either I don’t want to do or can’t do. That being said - I “met”
a woman on words with friends a long time ago. Over months we chatted and then became Facebook friends and texted now and then. This woman couldn’t be more different than me but we have stayed in sort of contact for years never meeting. About 3 years ago her mother died and left a quilt mid project. The woman asked me how I felt about finishing it. I said yes. She shipped it to me. What a mess. It was from a pattern or kit from a long time ago and was a sort of Irish chain pattern. The mother had apparently had some issues because some of the strips were torn, some were cut and none of them were the same. I took it to the quilt shop as my Friday project and got encouragement from the women. I started to think what was going on with this poor woman that the project was such a mess. But the words with friends woman wanted this for her granddaughter to be as a memorial from
the baby’s great grandmother. So as I worked on it it became a “labor of love” so to speak. I did “whip it into shape” and made the top. I got backing and batting and quilted it with a simple meander and put a label on with the story and sent it. Well it was so well received. By the time I finished it the baby was
born and old enough to “play”’in the quilt. The words with friends woman wrote me a beautiful letter. Then she offered to pay me! NoNoNo. I still feel good about that. But I also have said No a lot of times. Im
very good at saying No.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:15 PM

Stitchripper, what a lovely story. You did such a wonderful thing for your friend and her family.

SuzzyQ, the two projects involve hexies. In both instances, my friend drew the hexie on the back of the fabric and rough cut around it, then added batting (sometimes cut to shape and sometimes not so much), folded down the edges of the fabric and basted. For the larger hexies, I honestly could not find two that had matching sides. I took out all the basting, removed the batting, recut the fabric, marked the quarter inch seams and have almost all of them put together. That is the first picture. The ones on the upper right have been sewn together. The hexies finish at 4 1/2 inches on a side and 5 inches point to point. I will sandwich and quilt on my DSM, just outlining each flower. I think she will be pleased. Something to note is that none of them had been put together. I saw signs that she had tried and ripped them apart.

Some of the smaller hexies have been put together in bunches. They measure 2 1/2 inches on the side and 3 inches point to point. That is the second picture. She did say that she did not like seeing the stitches but I just don't know how far to go. I am willing to do the same application even though it will be tremendously time consuming. Oh dear...

Newbee3 my sincere apologies for hijacking your post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1475 (Small).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	637438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477 (Small).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	637439  
Old 01-19-2022, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Stitchripper, what a lovely story. You did such a wonderful thing for your friend and her family.

SuzzyQ, the two projects involve hexies. In both instances, my friend drew the hexie on the back of the fabric and rough cut around it, then added batting (sometimes cut to shape and sometimes not so much), folded down the edges of the fabric and basted. For the larger hexies, I honestly could not find two that had matching sides. I took out all the basting, removed the batting, recut the fabric, marked the quarter inch seams and have almost all of them put together. That is the first picture. The ones on the upper right have been sewn together. The hexies finish at 4 1/2 inches on a side and 5 inches point to point. I will sandwich and quilt on my DSM, just outlining each flower. I think she will be pleased. Something to note is that none of them had been put together. I saw signs that she had tried and ripped them apart.

Some of the smaller hexies have been put together in bunches. They measure 2 1/2 inches on the side and 3 inches point to point. That is the second picture. She did say that she did not like seeing the stitches but I just don't know how far to go. I am willing to do the same application even though it will be tremendously time consuming. Oh dear...

Newbee3 my sincere apologies for hijacking your post.
Wow! you must really enjoy EPP or whatever its called.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:24 AM

GingerK -- bless your heart! That is exactly the sort of project I would never undertake myself. Much less twice.

In Stitchnripper's story, I think it is important to understand what is wanted -- is it purely a memento of the project/person/fabric or is it a usable object. Sometimes a framed finished block or pillow or something is sufficient to have something to remember or touch.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:55 AM

I fell into this deep hole a couple years ago and my nieces graduation quilt is still sitting here. I thought I could do it and discovered correcting someone else's mistakes was not my forte'
I don't know if it will ever be finished at the rate I am going. Thank goodness you know your limits and I would just say, "Thank you of thinking of me but this is beyond what I am able to do." I wish I had your courage.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:54 PM

Once people knew that I quilt, I started having requests to do all sorts of things not just quilts. I tell them that I'm swamped with my own projects and don't have time to take on other projects.

Having said that, I'm a teacher and had close bonds to the teachers I worked with. I told them that I'd be glad to teach them how to quilt, A lot of them took me up on that offer and it was a lot of fun for us!
Old 01-19-2022, 04:02 PM

It's OKAY to say no.
Don't compare yourself to others, and don't let others virtue-signal and shame you into doing something you don't want to do.
Nobody but you knows what the path you're walking on looks like.