Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Flying Geese not flying! >

Flying Geese not flying!

Flying Geese not flying!

Old 02-07-2022, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! You are not alone when it comes to flying geese. I use to struggle with them a great deal. Before I got the Accuquilt system I found myself squaring them up and they were always smaller than I wanted them to be. I finally looked on You Tube and found a video that Elenore Burns did and that was a big help. Like you I am self taught. I am still looking forward to taking my first quilting class some day. For me ease with Flying Geese came with Accuquilt. I just finished a block this morning with Flying Geese and they came out perfect and right on point as they should. Right now I have a block laid out on my cutting table that has 8 flying geese. I took a break just to look on the QB and found your concern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Hir25m1NQ Elenore Burns Flying Geese .
Thank you. I love Elenore Burns and her simple methods. I followed her method for making the Ohio Star for my very first completed quilt. I am going to give this method a try!
Old 02-07-2022, 10:53 AM

I LOVE this ruler: Wing Clipper 1 - Deb Tucker's Studio 180 Design (deb-tuckers-studio-180-design.myshopify.com)

It trims multiple sizes. You can use whatever sewing method you prefer (8 at a time, or individual sky and geese like Bonnie Hunter does). Then trim. I typically do the Bonnie Hunter sewing method with the triangles cut just a wee-bit oversized.

I think there is also a Wing Clipper II that does bigger ones too. Wing Clipper 2 - Deb Tucker's Studio 180 Design (deb-tuckers-studio-180-design.myshopify.com)

I purchased mine directly from Deb Tucker.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:55 AM

Leaha,
Thanks for sharing the link. I cannot wait to try this technique!
Old 03-13-2022, 05:57 AM

I have recently found this gal and she has a nice selection of ways to get what one needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfZ732A9S9w
Old 03-13-2022, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
I have recently found this gal and she has a nice selection of ways to get what one needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfZ732A9S9w
I love Karen Brown! She has a wonderful style and her shortcuts and tips are easy to follow and to the point. She packs a lot of material into each video, yet doesn't overwhelm you with a lot of useless chatter. She also has some fun patterns for using scraps and "ugly" fabrics.
Old 03-13-2022, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I use Deb Tucker's. I make the block oversized slightly and use that ruler to trim down to the perfect size. It's one of my favorite rulers.