Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What a difference this made🥰 >

What a difference this made🥰

What a difference this made🥰

Old 02-13-2022, 04:46 PM

I saved some small Pringle chip cans and put my old ones into one labeled used and new in one labeled New. most are in those little yellow covers the sets come in too. time before last i evidently changed my blade and put in two at that time. Later on i couldn't think why it was cutting so badly. .... well two were thoroughly stuck together. I put both blades into the Used can!! Now the one single blade cuts like it should!
Old 02-13-2022, 05:40 PM

So when your can or jar is full of used blades, how do your discard them?
Old 02-13-2022, 05:51 PM

I put my used (ruined) pins, needles and cutters in a small, cheap plastic container with a lid. When it's full, I cap it off and put it in the garbage and start a new one. Or, you can take them out and wrap them in many layers of paper towels, put in a clear freezer bag and discard in the garbage.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
So when your can or jar is full of used blades, how do your discard them?
You would need to find out what is allowable in your municipality re disposal.

For now, I think my piggy bank is large enough that I doubt I will ever have to worry about disposal!
Old 02-13-2022, 06:54 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I have a good sized jar candle. I often light it while I am sewing. I drop bent needles, pins and used blades into it. The wax melts and the sharps sink into it. When I blow out the flame the wax hardens over them. When the candles gets full and too low, I toss it in the garbage safely!
Old 02-13-2022, 10:32 PM

Like others here, I put used discarded blades back into a "used" container and put pins and needles into a small pill bottle. I take the containers with me when I have my yearly physical and empty them into the used needle container on the wall in the exam room, and they are processed safely. Many public restrooms also have these containers on the wall.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I put my old blades in the plastic container the new ones came in - but I have " used" written on the top and bottom of the container.
This is what I do as well. Makes for easy and easily identifiable storage.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:23 AM

I use an empty peanut butter jr for bad pins , needles, and blades. When full it can be disposed of safely. I am on my 2nd jare.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:27 AM

I use a Ball canning jar and have a hole for pins and needles.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:45 AM

When I change my blades, I put them into another case just like they came in and have a note on the front saying "To be sharpened". Once sharpened I'll use it till it dull again and put it into another case that says "Sharpen for paper". I then use it for cutting anything but fabric until it's not longer decent for paper items. then I put it into another case that says "Dispose" so when it's full it gets tossed safely. I do this for all size blades I use. This way I get as much use out of them as possible. I add a mark on the blade once it's been sharpened once, another mark when it's been sharpened again so I know how many times it's been sharpened. Magic markers work great for this.