Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I just got a vintage Kenmore SM. Can you please help? >

I just got a vintage Kenmore SM. Can you please help?

I just got a vintage Kenmore SM. Can you please help?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Steelsewing View Post

I have a couple of pictures of Kenmore machines.
I believe this is the one of which you speak.
Manufactured by Maruzen/Jaguar of Japan.
Should be an E-cam machine, and I'm not 100% positive but it
might be a super-high shank foot. Might want to measure it to find out.
I have a 158.1774 that my sister got as a gift in mid 70s. Has all attachments and manual. Definitely not rare! It does do chain stitch, and has low shank, not high or super high shank presser feet. The cams are C cams, the most common kenmore cams that I have seen and interchange with many other kenmore models, including some that are super high shank models.

The picture you show is similar, but not identical to the 1774. Mine has a white and a green dot on the right side of the lever for special stitch selection where your picture shows an exclamation mark. The cam cover is also different, larger with a parallelogram shape.

This used to be my go to machine until I bonded with my Bernina 830. It sews thru multiple layers and has the largest selection of decorative stitches (thanks to my large collection of cams). It's not perfect, sometimes it balks at crossing heavy seams. It also spits out the bobbin case when I have to change the bobbin! Very frustrating because I can't find any combination of steps to prevent it. There have been mention of this habit in other machine on other threads (I think I remember Miriam and maybe MacyBaby having some machines with that problem), so it's not just me. I think that is why my sister was getting rid of it. Also, I must remember to hold both threads to the rear when starting a seam or thread nests will result.

Last edited by RotaryQueen; 10-25-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by RotaryQueen View Post
The cams are C cams, the most common kenmore cams that I have seen and interchange with many other kenmore models, including some that are super high shank models.

The picture you show is similar, but not identical to the 1774. Mine has a white and a green dot on the right side of the lever for special stitch selection where your picture shows an exclamation mark. The cam cover is also different, larger with a parallelogram shape.
I must have been half-awake, of course those are C cams. Wow.

This is really interesting. The 158.17740 and 158.17741 were both made by Maruzen/Jaguar. The machines are said to have been manufactured in either 1974 or 1975. Where it gets really interesting is that I have pictures of four different machines said to be model 1774. Each one of them is ever-so-slightly different. The photo I added above shows the one machine with a small cam door while all the others have larger doors. The dot and exclamation are on two of the four machines, while the other two have the dot and exclamation point -and also- a white and green dot below the exclamation point. This isn't the first time I've seen subtle differences between one year's model and the next. It make be possible that one is a true 1974, while the others are 1975? But I can't say for sure.

Presser feet are an additional problem for me. I have hundreds of photos of Kenmore sewing machines and rarely any information as to which machine had which size foot. When exactly Kenmore machines shifted from low to high shank is a good question. When they shifted from high to super high is just as mysterious. Some times I think they offered two sizes in the same model year. It's a real tangle - so thank you Rotary Queen for allowing me to at least identify one model. =)

Last edited by Steelsewing; 10-26-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Welcome to the Quilting Board!

The old Kenmore machines are great, but I just have to say, its rare to find a rare machine! It always makes me chuckle and want to contact sellers on Craigslist when they try to sell a vintage machine as 'rare' when there are half a dozen of that model available on CL in that area, just to enlighten them.
"Rare" is a relative term, but as a collector of vintage Kenmores I can say that some models are harder to find than others. Try finding one of those 1060 "mini Kennies" and see just how rare they are!
Old 02-15-2022, 05:32 AM

I don't think there was any moment in time where they "switched" from low to super high shank. In collecting vintage Kenmores, I've never found any rhyme or reason for which machine has which shank type - there are models with SHS that are older than models with low shank, and vice versa. And it's difficult to find any resource that lists all the models and their shank types/features so you can know what you're getting if you bid on a machine sight unseen.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:25 PM

I acquired a beautiful Kenmore 158 480. I am struggling to find a needle holder that will fit this machine. The previous owner said she was using it but I am unable to attach a needle. Any suggestions? I am checking this sight before I buy a manual
Old 03-18-2023, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by SusieHomemaker63 View Post
I acquired a beautiful Kenmore 158 480. I am struggling to find a needle holder that will fit this machine. The previous owner said she was using it but I am unable to attach a needle. Any suggestions? I am checking this sight before I buy a manual
Welcome to Quilting Board. According to this listing on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/KUNPENG-BP205.../dp/B077MDHWBC it is supposed to fit the 158.480. You may have to fashion some sort of thread guide for it.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 03-19-2023, 05:19 AM

Default image of missing needle clamp.

I ordered another clamp to try. The one that i already bought said it would work on my machine has a piece that sticks out but doesn't really fit in the grove of the needle bar.

img_4584.png
Old 03-19-2023, 09:27 AM

Is there a screw hole on the inner side of the needle bar? Can you see a needle stop in the groove of the needle bar? I'm wondering if you even have a needle stop in there somewhere. Sometimes there will be a screw holding a thread guide, which Janey mentioned, and which screw functions as the needle stop.