Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New to me Singer 192k (questions) >

New to me Singer 192k (questions)

New to me Singer 192k (questions)

Old 02-25-2022, 11:06 PM

Default New to me Singer 192k (questions)

This is my first to the forum.

Just got a 192k the other day. While playing with it I noticed I can not adjust my stitch lenth to less than about 15 threads per inch. I moved the adjuster down to the 6 threads per inch but it will not stitch less than about 15 stiches per inch. Is there a way to “recalibrate” the setting? When I move it to 30 it seems about right. Am I doing something wrong?
thanks
Old 02-26-2022, 05:38 AM

Welcome to QB.

Do you have the manual?
Have you cleaned and oiled the machine?
Does it actually stitch in reverse when move the lever all the way up?
What size needle and thread are you using?
What kind of fabric are you sewing?

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:35 PM

Do you have the manual?

No manual. I did look up and read what is supposed to be the manual on line. Looked at a ton of YouTube vids. That’s where all my info has come from.

————
Have you cleaned and oiled the machine?

No I have not done any maintenance at all. As of now this is not my machine. I am trying to get an estimation as to the condition and if it’s worth the time and extra expenses. All areas Ivan see are clean and look in good shape

———-
Does it actually stitch in reverse when move the lever all the way up?

Yes it does stitch in reverse and seems to do a good job.

———-
What size needle and thread are you using?

whatever one came in it. I have no idea.

————
What kind of fabric are you sewing?

Felt

———-

Right now I am trying to assess the condition. If the problems I am seeing are signs of a major problem. The machine looks very good on the outside in all areas I can visually inspect. She runs smooth and quiet. There is no apparent lint under or around the machine. The bobbin area is clean and runs smoothly. The bobbin oiler is worn down and needs replacing.

————
As of now my concern it she short stitch length even when set to 6 stitched to the inch she stitches close to 15.

Full disclosure. I am an ole guy. 74. I only started sewing last year. I just sew to make simple items I need and to repair equipment that wares out like straps on packs. I started sewing making masks then protective bags and such to protect items. Also the occasional leather stitching. I want a simple well built tough machine. I came across this one and was told to take it home and try it out. If what I am seeing are generally adjustments that need to be made fine. If it indicated a possible major problem I’ll just pass on to another machine. I do like this machine though.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:10 PM

Good for you. Yes, you will need to have a longer stitch length. Have you tried some different fabric?

It is quite possible that something is loose, bent or just needs some fresh oil. A manual can be found at https://www.singer.com/support and specifically at https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...ct/245_192.pdf

I was trying to find a 99k manual as the the Spartan is just a spartan 99. I have one, but cannot find where I got it from. Perhaps it was on an old Yahoo Group that isn't around any more.

I have a 99-13 and just has a screw to adjust the stitch length, rather than a lever. According to the manuals that I have, it looks like the stitch length lever doesn't need oil. If you look at the bottom of the machine and move the lever you may be able to see some parts that move and even if just a little, oil all the parts that rub together along the path from the right side of the machine to the feed dogs.

As I am trying to help you figure out this machine, I thought about the pressure on the presser foot. There is a 99/99k machine manual at singer.com - specifically https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...ng_Machine.pdf that describes the adjustment on page 22 of that pdf.

Hopefully, something in one of the manuals may help.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 02-27-2022, 08:07 AM

Thanks. Funny I didn’t find that one. Still reading it but so far it shows how to operate the stitch length adjustment but not trouble shooting. Again still reading.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:31 PM

Oh I forgot. I did try adjusting the pressure on the presser foot. Didn’t help as far as I could see. When I started the adjustment was all the way down. I kept backing it out till I figured that was far enough. Lol
Old 02-27-2022, 07:51 PM

I remembered that I have a 99 clone which has the lever. However, it does not have the thumb screw to lock it from going longer. I was able to see that I really need to clean that machine and find a bobbin cover slide plate for it. It had a lot of lint under the needle plate.

If you look at Fig. 21, of the 192 manual, you will see the places on the bottom that need oil. The bar across the top with joints on both ends are the ones that move when I change the stitch length. I would probably take the needle plate off (after removing the needle and presser foot) to see if I can see a bunch of lint build up to prevent it to move the feed dogs the full length while moving the lever. I remember one person who needed to adjust the feed dogs as were hitting the needle plate when the stitch was lengthened. That does not sound like that is your problem, though. When troubleshooting, I try simple things before digging deeper.

As I mentioned before - If you look at the bottom of the machine and move the lever you may should be able to see some parts that move and even if just a little, oil all the parts that rub together along the path from the right side of the machine to the feed dogs.

Oh, I forgot to mention to only use sewing machine oil. Some of the other oils that say they are for sewing machines have some additives that tend to gum things up. So no 3-in-1 or WD-40.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-27-2022 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:14 PM

Ok thanks. I bought a bottle of Singer oil. Not sure if it’s good or bad but it should get me goin. I’ll check the dogs. It may be a case of some lubrication. As I said it looks pretty clean inside and out but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a little something some where. So far it’s the only thing I can find that doesn’t appear to be in order.

Let me ask you this to be sure. The tension adjuster wheel controls the depth of the bottom stitch right? Seems the bottom stitching is a little loose and not pulled up enough. The top stitch is controlled by the tension on the bobbin thread and the bottom stitching is controlled by the tension wheel right? So adding tension to the tension wheel should draw the bottom stitching up correct? The top stitch seems fine.
thanks

Last edited by Thumbs; 02-27-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
Ok thanks. I bought a bottle of Singer oil. ...
Let me ask you this to be sure. The tension adjuster wheel controls the depth of the bottom stitch right? Seems the bottom stitching is a little loose and not pulled up enough. The top stitch is controlled by the tension on the bobbin thread and the bottom stitching is controlled by the tension wheel right? So adding tension to the tension wheel should draw the bottom stitching up correct? The top stitch seems fine.
thanks
Yes, Singer oil is good.

Yes, that is basically correct. Generally the bobbin tension doesn't need changed, unless you are using different size threads in the bobbin. Something that should be noted, is that one needs to have the presser foot up while threading. This allows the thread to go between the discs of the tension assembly. You should be able to see the discs move when raising and lowering the presser foot.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:00 PM

Ok long story but the machine is mine now. Haven’t touched it since my last post.
I am not at home so I can’t do that much but want to sort this stitch length thing out. It needs other stuff but they really aren’t a problem just the stitch length adjustment. Again I can’t get the stitch length down from about 15-20 stitches per inch.
Hope you guys are still with me. Lol