Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Limit of Patience? >

Limit of Patience?

Limit of Patience?

Old 03-06-2022, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I love scraps and always have. I am currently working on finishing some scrappy Log Cabin blocks my late husband started. Pictures shows 16 of them sewn together. I have them in all stages of being finished, and all lengths of strips.
Forgot to add, DH passed away 7 years ago. No one can accuse me of being speedy.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:41 PM

Forgot to add, DH passed away 7 years ago. No one can accuse me of being speedy.
It takes time for sure!! It took me about 8 years before I could cut up my son's shirts for a t-shirt quilt for his daughter. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:21 AM
Banned

If you have senior centers or church groups that quilt, you can donate them there.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:49 AM

The current issue of "Block" from MSQ has a great article of turning scraps into what I think is a beautiful quilt.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:19 AM

I use to think a scrap was the tiniest piece of fabric left after cutting as small a workable piece as possible. Now they are called crumbs. I don't save these very small pieces. Everything else is cut up into workable pieces.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:08 AM

Not have almost no patience so no scrappy quilts here but I do save my scraps for leaders or trying stitches on machines I am repairing or if I have enough I usually donate to someone who has more patience than I do.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:16 AM

I have been accused of having patience when it comes to scraps. When Missouri Star came out with a video sewing random pieces, I didn’t let my quilt of valor scraps go to waste. Below is the results. I dashed my blocks and made them bigger than Jenny’s but that’s the beauty of scraps. Do what you want with them-lol-I just wish I had other scrap fabrics than red/white/blue!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	973FD75D-A83B-4E98-B5DA-D533492C685E.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	638476  
Old 03-14-2022, 03:11 PM

Every few years I am just so tired of looking thru the scrap pile and making things from the same material. I gather it up, check it one last time, and give it to my neighbor who loves it. She just got out of rehab and has a big box of scraps to play with.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:51 PM

There is just something so freeing about playing with scraps. I just put a good movie on, pick a basic shape to do. And go for it. I am finding out I find "normal" quilts a bit boring now. I love looking at a finished scrap quilt and all the wonderful, and yes, maybe even ugly fabrics in it. I think...oh, I remember that one, I picked it up off the free table at the quilt guild meeting, or that one, I rescued from a garbage can at a quilt workshop! Or maybe, oh, that one I used to make my nephews wedding quilt, or that one, a baby quilt for my friend, or hey, that was gifted to me from my friend who thought the fabric in her zumba shorts was to cute to toss when they wore out so she cut them up for me to use in my quilting.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:43 PM

I love scraps and always have. I am currently working on finishing some scrappy Log Cabin blocks my late husband started. Pictures shows 16 of them sewn together. I have them in all stages of being finished, and all lengths of strips.
Barb, this is just beautiful! I love that it will be a collaboration between your husband and you. Good job!