Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as wedding gift? >

Quilt as wedding gift?

Quilt as wedding gift?

Old 07-01-2018, 01:51 PM

I made a quilt for my step-granddaughter's wedding after getting her colors. Since I'm apparently the only grandmother that takes an interest in this girl it was greatly appreciated and is used. Her husband comes from a large friendly family but I guess I'm the only one that will do things just for her. And she's a lovely girl with a good heart besides.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Depends on what your talking abt "wedding shower or wedding day"... I've learned to ask because most young people don't appreciate the work put into it nor do they want it. I recently had a niece's shower and asked the mother who said "nope" she'd rather have something off her registry. So I know that family including her mother my SIL have no appreciation of the craft...SIL just doesn't get it. So that family is off my list. I make sure the people I make for appreciate my work.
If your talking wedding day gift then that's simple most couples now just want money...
Old 07-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

One year I made 5 wedding quilts... all of my son's closest friends plus my sister-in-law got married the same Spring/Summer. It was killer but I got it done. Of the 5, I don't think my SIL even said thank you. Three of the boys loved their quilts and one was lukewarm and only sent a thank you card about a year after. My SIL had a horrible marriage which was mercifully short-lived by her death from cancer. Very sad. Her 'husband' gave all her stuff back to the family, but we have no idea what happened to the quilt. Somebody snagged it.

These days people only want what is on their wedding registries. They expect you to go out like a robot and buy something you could care less about off a list. Well tough tooties, I give what I want to give!

I was recently invited to a wedding and they said in the invitation that they wanted gift cards... from Walmart or Kroger (a large grocery chain here). Really? I'm supposed to buy you groceries for a wedding gift? Sheesh.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:37 AM

I try to feel out if a person would be receptive to a quilt - either by asking parents or just observing actions of the person. I gave quilts to my 2 children for wedding gifts - one (daughters) was used to death, the other I never saw again (daughter-in-law). So with that I am cautious to whom I give a quilt. I will donate to a cause rather than gift. For the last 5 years, I donate a full size quilt to our yearly craft event at church and each sold for a couple of hundred dollars by auction. That way I know the person wants a quilt if they bid and receive the quilt.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:42 AM

I have given many quilts for wedding gifts over the years. Four of them were DWR quilts. They were made by hand and took me about a year for each one. Many others took a bit less time. I would much rather make a quilt than give cash. Most brides appreciate what the value these quilts are.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:03 AM

I was a quilter before I was married. My husband's aunt gave us a quilt that was hand quilted. I am embarrassed to say that it has never spent a single day on a bed. Mostly because it is primarily white. But the other reason is that I understand all the work that went into it and if it got stained or tattered I would freak out. It has been in my cedar chest since the day I received it.

I would have preferred to have a quilt large enough for both of us to snuggle under. But if it had been hand quilted, it probably would have ended up in the cedar chest anyways. I am very conflicted about the quilt. On the one hand I truly believe that quilts were made to be used, and therefore, loved. But all that hard work and what if it gets a stain? Ugh!

I made a DWR quilt for each of my daughters when they were married. One daughter uses her quilt,, the other has it stashed. Not because she doesn't like it, but because she has a dog. Both daughters use the twin sized quilts I made for them on an almost daily basis.

I think you have to know your audience. I don't think I would give a quilt as a wedding gift unless it was asked for.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

We didn't have a registry when we got married but I wish we had. We got some things that were the taste of the giver, not us. A lot of things never got used. Of course we were grateful for any gifts and let them know but I guess I'm just practical. To me a registry is practical. There is nothing wrong with people who don't like quilts. I'd much rather spend money on something people can actually use and enjoy. My BIL's hobby is hunting and he mounts heads all over the house. Not for me but that's his hobby. I'm just glad he never gifted us with one lol
Old 04-06-2022, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by russellcmbc View Post
Do people give quilts as wedding gifts? I have a wedding in August that I have thought of making a quilt as a wedding gift. It has been a long time since I've been to a wedding and not sure what people expect these days.

thanks.
I'm divorcing my husband BUT I received a quilt with photos of us as children and it was my most cherished gift. I hung it on my wall. Now that I'm divorcing I am considering replacing his photos with my beloved pets --- what mattered to me was that my friend asked me about my favorite colors. I didn't have a clue she was making a quit. This helped make sure it fit in with my decor. Also, make sure it's the size that can be hanged as most won't want to use it as a bed quilt - it's too sacred to be "used". Good luck!
Old 04-06-2022, 02:28 PM

SusieQOH
Power Poster

My BIL's hobby is hunting and he mounts heads all over the house. Not for me but that's his hobby. I'm just glad he never gifted us with one lol

Susie I had to laugh but I feel the same way. My husband has hunted all our married life 53 years but didn’t get a deer head mounted until about 5-10 years ago. He went on a hunting trip with our son to a ranch in Texas our sons friend Jason had. Jason provided lodging and meals, paid their hunting license fee and when my hubby killed his trophy buck, Jason gave our son the cash for my hubby to have it mounted. Oh no!
I reinstated how I felt about any animal on the wall of my house but hubby said he HAD to get it mounted because of Jason. So this is the plan.
My oldest grandson and to be honest other family members have mounts. I told oldest grandson Caleb, if I out live my husband, follow me home from the graveyard and take that deer head off my wall!
Old 04-07-2022, 03:34 AM

I would only make a quilt for a wedding gift if that person was a relative and I knew what colors they wanted for the bedroom. Assuming that you are talking about a bed sized quilt that is. Otherwise for a throw quilt for the couch I'd stick to modern neutral colors (white, creams shades of gray). I'd be too afraid a gift such as this would end up in the Goodwill, if not to the couples liking.