Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend—April 15-17, 2022 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend—April 15-17, 2022

Virtual Quilting Weekend—April 15-17, 2022

Old 04-16-2022, 09:43 AM

Hey everyone.

So, I have a confession to make. I am super clumsy, something that I never had a problem with until my stroke in 2014. Since that time, it seems like everything I touch or even look at, falls to the floor and ends up making a gigantic mess. While there's nothing I can really do about the oopsies for now, I have found a solution that I'm hoping will ease things because honestly, ladies, there are times that I can just drop the smallest thing and I am on the floor crying because I can't seem to control myself anymore.

This all came to a head about a week ago, I was working on an organizer and when I went to take a few clips out of my bowl, and instead of placing my hand inside the bowl, I hit it and it fell. Dozens of clips all over the floor, luckily you can pick them up with a magnet, but it still upset me deeply. So as I sat in my chair, crying my eyes out, pulling up those clips off the floor, I had an idea, stopped what I was working on and started to really look around my sewing corner and wrote down things that I seem to always knock on the floor.

I'm re-organizing my storage solutions and everything I knock on the floor is being transferred over to zippered pouches and organizers. I figured out that I am severely OCD when it comes to zippers that are open, I have to close them, doesn't matter what it is, I have to zip them closed. So I got online, found some free zipper pouches, purchased a couple of patterns for zipped organizers and I've been steadily conquering that demon. I still have a couple more to make, but just having that kind of solution in my arsenal to get myself organized, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner. It's also helping me get a handle on zippers, I haven't done them in years, so I'm upping my skills, too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220415_072833.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	639021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220415_073029.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	639022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220416_120228.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	639023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220416_120248.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	639024  
Old 04-16-2022, 10:28 AM

railroadersbat you made some nice bags for storage. I'm going to work on a quilt for my grandson with fish and fishing things on it . Have a nice Easter weekend everyone.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:11 AM

The closet has 3 waiting to be sandwiched....but I don't wanna (it's my least favorite part)so I'm working on a Snail Trail for us and considering what other of my PIGS (projects in bags) I should work on. I like to have 2 at a time so when 1 gets tedious, I can switch and neither becomes UFO.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
So, I have a confession to make....

I'm re-organizing my storage solutions and everything I knock on the floor is being transferred over to zippered pouches and organizers. I figured out that I am severely OCD when it comes to zippers that are open, I have to close them, doesn't matter what it is, I have to zip them closed. So I got online, found some free zipper pouches, purchased a couple of patterns for zipped organizers and I've been steadily conquering that demon. I still have a couple more to make, but just having that kind of solution in my arsenal to get myself organized, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner. It's also helping me get a handle on zippers, I haven't done them in years, so I'm upping my skills, too.
I like the Melanie Hamm tutorial on YouTube for zipper bags. I got 14" zippers - 80 of them for $14 from Amazon.. zippers can always be shortened. Someone gave me a bunch of decorator fabric a few years ago and I make bags for my son's teachers every year as part of Christmas present. (Get some jam, honey or maple syrup, nice card and done)
Good luck! They go quick And can use up batting scraps also...and good practice for FMQ also.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:40 AM

Unfortunately I won't be able to join in this weekend - DS has been poorly for the past 2 days, including being up several times at night, and I'm exhausted. We are supposed to be out visiting family all of tomorrow (whether any of that will actually happen depends on how DS is). Either way, no time for sewing. I will keep an eye on the thread though, and look forward to seeing and hearing about others' projects.

Happy Quilting!
Old 04-16-2022, 02:02 PM

Things are moving along here. I got borders on the Gnome quilt. Batting and backing stitched up and pin basted. Quilting it will wait until another day. Then I got pieces cut for a cross quilt and have started sewing that together. I hope to get it all pieced this weekend.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:19 PM

Yesterday was a bust for doing any sewing. Plumbing took over 4 hours but the drains are clear of roots and there is nothing broken. (that was my fear) Had a late dinner last night with one of our young neighbors, not used to eating at 8pm so it was to bed once we got home at 11.

But today has been good! The quilt is all cut out, I just didn't cut down some of the squares into QST yet. I will do that just before I need them. I find if I do the QST and HST cuts to early I generally loose something. Pattern is going nicely but found a error, not sure if I misunderstood or it's missing one cut. Sent a email to the author and waiting on instructions but can do other parts of the quilt so still able to piece, I enjoy testing instructions.

railroadersbat that's a great solution, since you know you have to close zippers. Me I look for office supplies that work for quilting. My pins are in those magnetic paperclip holders, and a magnetic parts holder I grabbed from DH's work room. And a lot of plastic trays some with rubber liners so things don't slide.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:00 AM

You make me think of the saying "where there's a will there's a way".
Old 04-17-2022, 05:04 AM

My husband surprised me with another accomplishment for this virtual weekend, one that I didn't even know was on my list! He bought me a little storage cart that I turned into my ironing station.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20220416_140003.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	639035  
Old 04-17-2022, 06:58 AM

Railroadersbrat- good job on figuring out a solution that will work for you- those storage bags looks handy and they're cute too, win-win!

I'm still dithering on whether to go with a light background or a dark background, though I'm leaning to the light background. If I do that, then I will change the centers of my sunflowers a bit.... decisions, decisions....

Rob