Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Troubleshooting seam allowances >

Troubleshooting seam allowances

Troubleshooting seam allowances

Old 04-21-2022, 09:30 AM

I have scant 1/4 inch but when I actually checked it with measurement it was a bit more so now I go by the measurement and just move the needle to the correct place
Old 04-21-2022, 09:50 AM

The problems I had were not with the setting up the 1/4 inch seam but more to do with keeping the seam width consistent. I found when using my 97 1/4 inch foot with my bernina, the seam seems to get narrower at the end of the seam because the fabric would feed a bit crooked because of I think, not being on the right feed dog and also I had a problem with the tips of triangles being pulled down into the machine. So doing the modification I posted earlier helped with those issues. I now am more confident about being able to accurately get my 1/4 inch seam.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:49 PM

I've had that problem at the end of the seam, with twisting or just becoming narrower, and it has helped to either use a wooden skewer with the point sanded down or, better yet, half of a wooden clothespin. (with the spring removed, you get two pieces)

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-22-2022, 01:52 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=charlottequilts;8548568]I've had that problem at the end of the seam, with twisting or just becoming narrower, and it has helped to either use a wooden skewer with the point sanded down or, better yet, half of a wooden clothespin. (with the spring removed, you get two pieces)

hugs,
charlotte[/QUOTE

Metal sewing awls work well, too.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:13 PM

A long time ago, a wise home ec. teacher taught us to place scotch ' magic tape' ( green dispencer) over the slot hole. The needle punctures it in just the right place...no more fabric stuffed down hoke. It leaves no sticky residue. You'll need to replace it every few days, but it's a simple fix l've been using for years.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:35 AM

Yep. I have all the same problems as at one time or another. I've learned to accept the fact that I am not a perfect quilter. I've learn to work around my inability to have perfect points, seams, etc. I've been quilting 40 years now and the only times I've made a precise quilt is when I hand stitch. There are so many gorgeous quilts at quilt shows and I envy the skills of the people who created them. I really admire the skills of all the fantastic quilters I've met on this Board and enjoy seeing the quilts that are so wonderful and perfect that I drool over them...but I not longer put pressure on myself to achieve that level.

Just remember that "practice makes perfect" and you can achieve your goals!
Old 04-24-2022, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

There is "perfect"
- there is "good enough"
- there is "the learning curve"
- there also is "much as I don't want to, this really needs to be done over'

Sometimes it really is a machine that is "uncooperative" - also known as "POA" - piece of aggravation.
I have run into a couple of machines that - no matter how I fiddle with them - they do not sew decently.

There are also machines that do need a professional to get them going properly. As much as it pains me to spend money for maintenance and repair, being frustrated is more costly to my mental health.