Eq8

Old 12-29-2018, 08:55 AM

Default Eq8

I want the EQ8 software but I am wary of buying and want to learn more. I plan to read all the info from the website and all the posts on this board.
First off, I have never used any version of this software or any other version or any other type of software ( such as QuiltPro). I have a basic laptop. I have basic skills with computers and have used a software that came with my camera. Not sure if that will help me adjust to using EQ8
Right now, my basic questions are:
1. Can I download the software to my laptop?
2. Do I need anything special on my laptop before I can download the software?
3. Is there a difficult learning curve with using EQ8?
Thx for any info/suggestions.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:13 AM

You need to compare your laptop specifications are to what the software’s minimum system requirements. For a PC you need 859 MB hard disc space, Windows 10,Windows 8.1, or Windows 7.1 with Service Pack 1. You would also need minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768. And you can use it on 2 computers. Internet access is required for periodic software validation.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM

As far as learning curve. As with any new software, you have to take the time to learn how to use it. Then, you have to actually use it so you don’t forget how it works. The tutorials were easy and helpful and if you need assistance with something, the online communities are great with solutions.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:28 AM

UFOs Galore....Thank you! My laptop has Windows 10. My resolution is set at 1366 X 768 which is the recommended amount. I have internet access. So what else should I have?
I am eager to get it and try it. Do you think it will be more difficult to learn b/c I have never used the older versions?

Last edited by crackers; 12-29-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:45 AM

I think it would be easier to learn without any previous EQ experience. They completely redid the user interface to make it more intuitive. You don’t have to re-learn how to do anything . You will begin with a clean slate. Most importantly, just keep using it - even if you do simple designs you would never actually use or even need the program to design. If you don’t use it you will “lose it”.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:46 AM

Thanks so much for the information. My b-day is in early February and EQ8 will be my present to m,yself.
Originally Posted by UFOs Galore View Post
I think it would be easier to learn without any previous EQ experience. They completely redid the user interface to make it more intuitive. You don’t have to re-learn how to do anything . You will begin with a clean slate. Most importantly, just keep using it - even if you do simple designs you would never actually use or even need the program to design. If you don’t use it you will “lose it”.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:26 AM

I just got it from Santa this year. I had a little trouble downloading it. In the package is not a disc but an access code to the download and an instruction book. I contacted the help line and they talked me thru it. They were excellent. For some reason Firefox would not download it, but Chrome would. Go figure. So far, I have just explored and I like it. I think it would make a great birthday present for yourself.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:00 PM

I have EQ8, and really like it. I am getting better and better at using it. Like anything else, the more you use it the easier it becomes. I enjoy the free monthly downloads of fabric and designs. I didn't have any problem downloading the program, or moving it to a new computer when I updated my desktop. I keep a copy on my laptop too so I can "play" when I travel. Don't know what I would do without it. Love the ability to preview my potential quilt it various designs, colors, etc. My biggest problem is finding fabric in the software that best matches my physical fabric.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I use EQ 7. I don't design patterns so didn't upgrade as EQ7 does everything I need. I like to use it to decide color for my quilt, see how different blocks look together and to convert blocks to paper piecing. In my opinion EQ software is the best on the market for quilt designing. Every quilt designer I have asked about designing uses it.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Quiltinaday usually has the best price on EQ software, and right now it's on sale. I wouldn't wait until February.