Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ8 Upgrade >

EQ8 Upgrade

EQ8 Upgrade

Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 AM

Default EQ8 Upgrade

I have EQ7 and with the current promotion to upgrade to EQ8 I'm tempted to upgrade. However, I have had EQ7 for a couple of years and have yet to build a quilt on it beyond the tutorials as I find it a bit difficult to work with. Seems EQ8's changes are supposed to have made it easier to learn and use. Has anyone gotten so far as to trying it that can give me an opinion on how much easier or not it is? Does it come with a built in User manual or anything in the software?
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-28-2017, 10:36 AM

Kari Schell has beta tested EQ8. Here is her website and review: https://www.onpointquilter.com/blog/...2ce60-10860317

I plan to upgrade later this month.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 PM
mkc

Similar thread here

If I could get off this couch I'd get my info to download EQ8--anyone got it yet??
Old 10-29-2017, 03:34 AM

I've used EQ7 since released. Love It! I'm finding EQ8 not user friendly, the new features aren't really that great. I would have rather had the cutting charts the QuiltPro offers. QuiltPro tells you how many strips to cut and how many pieces you can get from them. EQ8 new cutting feature is how many fat quarters you'll need but not how to cut them, it will also tell you name of fabric on the print out....useless and a waste of ink in my opinion. Like most quilters I can tell you exactly what line, the designer, the manufacturer and the year it was released.

EQ8 comes with a manual you can print or you can buy one at the end of November. Maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways. I feel they should have left the overall design alone and added the new features, the new layout is making it very hard for me to find anything. Since you find the EQ7 hard to work with you might like the new layout.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-29-2017 at 06:39 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 10-29-2017, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
I have EQ7 and with the current promotion to upgrade to EQ8 I'm tempted to upgrade. However, I have had EQ7 for a couple of years and have yet to build a quilt on it beyond the tutorials as I find it a bit difficult to work with. Seems EQ8's changes are supposed to have made it easier to learn and use. Has anyone gotten so far as to trying it that can give me an opinion on how much easier or not it is? Does it come with a built in User manual or anything in the software?
Thanks in advance!
This is why I'm selling my EQ7, I don't use it. It was one of those things that was an impulse buy that I planned on using but didn't. There's no sense in upgrading or keeping it when I don't and haven't used it. I'm slowly going thru all of my stuff that I wanted so badly but haven't used, like the quilting calculator, the FW machine, etc. I'm trying to be more careful and now if I'm buying it I'm making myself use it. I've heard the upgrade isn't that much, which is good, if you are going to use it.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
Kari Schell has beta tested EQ8. Here is her website and review: https://www.onpointquilter.com/blog/...2ce60-10860317

I'm not sure I could count on her opinion on this as she is not unbiased. However, having a look at her site reminded me of her offering a learning program for EQ7 which seems she has adjusted to EQ8 now that it's out. I'm interested in knowing if anyone has tried her 10 minutes/3 days a week program lessons and what the feedback is. $30/month seems a little pricey, but if it got me to where I can be successful in getting what I want out of EQ8, it might be worth it. Comments?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post

But Sheri.a, it's 25% off right now!

Last edited by krafty14; 10-29-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Krafty14, fortunately I signed up for an EQ7 class at the Houston Festival. Right before I was about to purchase the upgrade, I saw that EQ will be giving their class attendees a free upgrade to EQ8. Their classes will still be in EQ7 since that is what people signed up for (signup started in July).

It's an unexpected treat. All but one class was full when they closed the pre-enrollment.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 AM

Interesting, I didn't realize there was an upgrade available.

I'd want to see point-by-point comparisons before I decide to change mine. I do use EQ7 fairly often, but it's frustrating for me to design on it - I still do most of my creative design work on graph paper and only move to EQ when I'm at or very near the final design. If the new version has better design tools, I might be interested. I really mostly use EQ as a place to archive my designs, get fabric estimates, and to print them out for doodling quilting ideas.

I wonder if they offer a trial download of the new version.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:34 PM

I upgraded to EQ8....It does not seem as "natural" to me as EQ7. I thought that if it was "newer" it would be easier...could be me...but EQ8 seems to be more difficult!