Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Of all the things possible with fabric, why did you choose quilts? >

Of all the things possible with fabric, why did you choose quilts?

Of all the things possible with fabric, why did you choose quilts?

Old 05-11-2022, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I am also on a break from quilting after the great mask-athon. I doesn’t bother me as I know I will get back to it, maybe in the fall. I want to get outside to enjoy the beautiful weather.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:08 AM

I like quilting because it constantly fascinates and surprises me to watch the pieces of fabric unfold into something beautiful that I actually created with my own hands.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:35 AM

I began making quilts over 35 years ago because after much frustration sewing clothes I realized I wasn't very good at making them fit. Quilts looked easier because they're flat. I've since learned that even with quilts there are skills necessary to MAKE them lie flat! But it's been a learning curve for me, and an enjoyable one. Today I quilt for my family and for charity. It's a wonderful way to explore all my ideas about color and design, and I'm excited to try new techniques that I've learned. There is always one more tool, one more method to learn, or one more style to master.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:06 AM

It sounds to me that even with your reasons for quilting, the root is that you love how the process of quilting makes you feel. And how wonderful it is to create something and feel so accomplished you want to just keep doing it.

I think it's that feeling that I no longer have, that I long to have, and that I am missing, with sewing at least. Maybe it is time for a change.

Thank you so much!
Old 05-11-2022, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
It sounds to me that even with your reasons for quilting, the root is that you love how the process of quilting makes you feel. And how wonderful it is to create something and feel so accomplished you want to just keep doing it.

I think it's that feeling that I no longer have, that I long to have, and that I am missing, with sewing at least. Maybe it is time for a change.

Thank you so much!
People change. Needs change. It is okay to leave "something" behind that is no longer useful/necessary to/for you.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:31 PM

I pretty much do anything with fabric. I make clothing, purses, drapes and curtains, pillow, wearable art and quilts. I've even made my husband fender covers for his car so he won't scar the paint when he's working on it. I prefer quilting and wearable art, but do most anything.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:45 PM

cause it's fun and relatively easy - and you don't have to worry about it not quite fitting or looking good on you when you are done.

I really loved cooking for a while, but switched to quilting because I'm never tempted to eat my mistakes.

Old 05-11-2022, 02:44 PM

In my culture, there is a custom not to wear new clothes for a year after the death of a parent (amongst several other signs of mourning). Having been an avid garment sewer for decades, I decided upon the death of my dad in 2017, that I would neither purchase nor sew clothes for myself for the whole year.

As the acute stages of grief started to wear off, I found myself longing to be creative at the sewing machine, and the quilting bug started to take hold.

I don’t think I’ll quilt forever. After all, there are only so many ‘blankets’ one needs. And considering the time and money invested in their creation, there just aren’t that many people I would deem quilt-worthy!

I’ll only do it as long as I enjoy it. And then I won’t.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:53 PM

It’s been a while since I’ve made a quilt. I have made totes, pillows, placemats, table runners, etc. I don’t know when the next quilt will be made. Am I still a quilter?

There are a few patterns on the wish list if that counts.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:07 AM

I love to make quilts because I don't have to worry about whether its going to fit a person's shape as you do when making clothing.