Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Of all the things possible with fabric, why did you choose quilts? >

Of all the things possible with fabric, why did you choose quilts?

Of all the things possible with fabric, why did you choose quilts?

Old 05-11-2022, 04:44 AM

Default Of all the things possible with fabric, why did you choose quilts?

Hi Everyone.

Just curious.

I am / have been in a sewing pause for quite some time now and I can't figure out why, other than I have no one to sew for. It seems like I was more excited to sew when the kids were little and wanted shorts and tops and dolls and crafty things, but now they're all adults and really need nothing fabric related.

I've also sewn just about everything thing there is, from cloth dolls to wedding party gowns, and I have made quilts
as well, although they aren't my favorite for some odd reason, so I can't figure this out.

So I'm wondering why you all are so excited to sew the next quilt, and I guess if you have ever been where I am, how did you handle it? Or maybe after 40+ years of sewing it's time for a new hobby?

Last edited by Butterfli19; 05-11-2022 at 04:45 AM. Reason: had my name in there twice
Old 05-11-2022, 05:18 AM

I just like quilting, some of it is I think the Zen quality of just feeding pieces through the machine, one after another. And I do like wrapping up in one of my quilts after it is finished. By all means, if a new hobby calls, go for it. I have had several "stages" in my live. These include crewel embroidery, cross stitch, macramae, tapestry, crochet, knitting, machine embroidery, piecing, and quilting. Also like a bit of gardening, bird watching, in my younger years there was horseback riding, hiking, and canoeing.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:22 AM

I have no Grandkids and never will (I am fine with that) I have made quilts for everyone I have deemed Quilt Worthy yet I still quilt because I enjoy the creative process. Many finished quilts have found Quilt Worthy homes over the years and I know they are appreciated. I continue in the hopes that perhaps that one day they will give warmth and comfort to my fellow man, be they known or unknown. I have told my daughter that when I am gone she is to take herself a little road trip for a week or 2, take my quilts with her and give them to people who look like they could use a hug.

I have times when I don’t feel like quilting or sewing and that is ok. I don’t think that means I no longer enjoy it, I think it means that I can go do others things and it will be ready and waiting when I do come back. I say give it some time, perhaps you can offer to teach someone what you know and be mentor or find a Charity to quilt for. It is ok to no longer have an interest in a hobby after, don’t feel bad.

Last edited by tallchick; 05-11-2022 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:28 AM

Like you I have sewn just about everything. I just love sewing and have done so all my life. As kids have grown and no longer need toys or cute outfits I still have the desire to work with fabric. Quilts give me the reward of creating something. Some are beautiful (in my eye ). Some turn out just plain ugly. There are plenty of places to donate to. Recipients will find what appeals to them and hopefully find warmth and love wrapped in one of my quilts. That warms my heart
Old 05-11-2022, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I like making quits better than clothing because:

One can make a quilt whatever size one wants and one can usually find someone that will want/use it.

I like making quilts better than "crafty" things like stuffed Christmas trees because:

I think quilts are comparatively useful.

But - I have done not much of anything for the past couple of years sewing wise.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:52 AM

I didn't start out making quilts but when I knew I would be out of commission for 12 weeks due to foot surgeries I just by accident found out about embroidery machines back in 2000 so I bought one. Then afterwards I started going to an embroidery class at JoAnn's and met some wonderful gals, a mother and daughter duo. From then on, the mother enjoyed making quilts more so than embroidery so one day she decided to go up and check out Viking's MegaQuilter 9" on an Inspira frame. I went with her and decided to jump in on the band wagon but changed out to a Grace Pro frame instead. That was the start of my quilting history. From there on I moved up to larger machines, added robotis and now finally my last machine is the Innova with IQ robotics. I still do embroidery and even have a wedding ring quilt (blocks only) up on the design wall waiting to be put together.

I also make clothes and still have a good supply of dress fabrics though I have to admit I haven't made any clothes in some time since moving up to Iowa from Florida after I retired. I just enjoy making a quilt to give to some one as it says how much that person means to me when they receive it.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:54 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I have no Grandkids and never will (I am fine with that) I have made quilts for everyone I have deemed Quilt Worthy yet I still quilt because I enjoy the creative process. Many finished quilts have found Quilt Worthy homes over the years and I know they are appreciated. I continue in the hopes that perhaps that one day they will give warmth and comfort to my fellow man, be they known or unknown. I have told my daughter that when I am gone she is to take herself a little road trip for a week or 2, take my quilts with her and give them to people who look like they could use a hug.

I have times when I don’t feel like quilting or sewing and that is ok. I don’t think that means I no longer enjoy it, I think it means that I can go do others things and it will be ready and waiting when I do come back. I say give it some time, perhaps you can offer to teach someone what you know and be mentor or find a Charity to quilt for. It is ok to no longer have an interest in a hobby after, don’t feel bad.

That road trip idea is wonderful! So many people would love your lovingly made quilts and the warmth they give them both physically and emotionally. Thank you for an idea to strive to do!
Old 05-11-2022, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I made a few clothes for my boys when they were little and did crafty things but nothing has satisfied me the way quilting has.
In fact, last summer I made a romper for my baby granddaughter and it turned out awful! I'm just not into it I guess. On the other hand, I've made her toys and quilts which gave me a lot of joy. I just do what brings me that joy and it happens to be quilting. While I'm working on a project I already have one or more in my head!
Old 05-11-2022, 07:05 AM

I like quilting because you can break all the rules regarding prints and color! Stripes next to polka dots nexts to florals for the win.

Also, like others have said, unlike clothing or home decor, a finished quilt is always the right size.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:13 AM

I've sewn since I was a kid and wound up teaching all levels of sewing on the college level. Used to wake up in the middle of the night so I'd have time to sew. Now that I'm retired, I no longer need the clothes I did, and discovered quilting at a wearable art fashion show. I was hooked! That has morphed into making art quilts, rarely clothes. I still love fabric. It's magical. I've also discovered alcohol ink painting and love that, too. Thanks to the generous teachers on YouTube I've learned that you can do it even without an art background.

My needs and desires have changed with retirement, but fabric still makes my heart beat faster. Meetings at a quilt guilt could get your enthusiasm back.