Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a straight stitch machine for quilting.... >

I want a straight stitch machine for quilting....

I want a straight stitch machine for quilting....

Old 06-03-2022, 10:06 AM

I have a Babylock Accomplice. I luvs it. No problems. It has a large throat, and is a high speed, straight stitch machine.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 06-03-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:27 PM

I have the Juki 2010 and absolutely love it. The best descriptor I can think of for its action is "silky." It's very solid, too, and easy to access and clean.

When I first tried to do straight-line quilting with it, it was a disaster. The top was pin-basted every few inches, but the walking foot was basically pushing the fabric around, mostly forward. From a tip on this board, I ordered a Janome walking foot that was lighter, and that helped. More important than that was not using Quilter's Dream "request" (or maybe "select" - it was the thinnest one.). It was like there just wasn't enough adherence between the top and the batting, and the top was at the mercy of the walking foot. I finished the quilting, but the pattern of the top was distorted.

I still love the Juki and use it for piecing. It's wonderful with thick areas, like binding or sewing through a binding and ruffle together. One quilt had circle appliques, with turned-under edges. I straight-stitched around edge of the circles through 4 layers of fabric plus batting, with no trouble at all (it made cool designs on the back.) I have also quilted successfully with the next step up of Quilter's Dream. So, I'd definitely buy it again, especially since I have a computerized machine for when one is needed.

hugs,
charlotte

Old 06-03-2022, 04:00 PM

Gosh, I am glad I am not in the market for a different machine. I wouldn't know what to get as there are so many different reviews of the various machines. I have a Janome 6600 Professional and a white featherweight and am very satisfied with both. I do all my own machine quilting on the 6600 and use my featherweight to go on sew days or retreats, or if I just want a good straight machine. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I have a Babylock Accomplice. I luvs it. No problems. It has a large throat, and is a high speed, straight stitch machine.
I think the Babylock Accomplish (successor to the BL Jane) is a rebranded Brother PQ1500sl (successor to the PQ1500s).

to OP- glad you got your Brother PQ1500s fixed. I was going to suggest that. I have a Brother PQ1500s that I bought used a number of years ago for $350- it's a great machine!

Rob
Old 06-04-2022, 08:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to getting my Brother back. Maybe I can sell the Janome. Not sure how to do that, though.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:57 AM

Wonderful - you're getting your machine back! I think the Brother & Juki straight stitch machines are very comparable with minor differences but it's so much better to get your own machine back. As for the Janome, I have seen very dedicated Janome owners so you should be able to resell online - facebook, craigslist or maybe see if the local quilt guild allows you to "spread the word". I'm sure the new Janome would be a perfect fit for someone else. Happy reunion with your 1500!
Old 06-04-2022, 12:01 PM

I have the Juki 98 Q which is basically the same machine withought the led lighting. I have had it forever since they first came out and I still love it. I have never had a bit of trouble with it (I keep it oiled) and it has made hundreds of quilts as well as many purses. It will sew through thick items (purses sewn with quilted fabrics - 4 layers of fabric and 2 of batting and interfacing) and it does a great job. I wouldn't trade her for the world.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:59 AM

Hands down, Janome HD9 versus Juki 2010. Check out the you tube why I bought a Janome hd9 versus Juki 2010.

I bought two Jankme HD 9s. I researched the heavy duty straight stitch... industrial domestic machines, because I am a quilter and bag maker,
the HD9 won out each time.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to getting my Brother back. Maybe I can sell the Janome. Not sure how to do that, though.
You might try sewitsforsale.com. Its a group for selling sewing related items. I've seen several machines for sale on the site and they usually seem to sell.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
You might try sewitsforsale.com. Its a group for selling sewing related items. I've seen several machines for sale on the site and they usually seem to sell.
I'm going to list it on there today. I had to re-join Facebook because I quit it a couple years ago. I hope it finds a new home. I've sold other machines, including a couple embroidery machines, over the years and I learned to keep the original packaging.

The Janome is a nice machine but it's WAY more machine than what I need or want. I guess I was caught up in the "bling" of it and the good sales pitch...haha.