Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reducing the size of a quilt pattern - complicated? >

Reducing the size of a quilt pattern - complicated?

Reducing the size of a quilt pattern - complicated?

Old 06-05-2022, 05:27 AM

Default Reducing the size of a quilt pattern - complicated?

I haven't made a large quilt (60x70) and I'm a bit afraid to at this time. I see so many I'd like to make but I think I would prefer to start with a smaller version, but at the same time, I don't think I'm afraid of the patchwork size but more so the backing and quilting part of it.

How did you overcome this anxiety of putting so much time and money into a quilt then not quite getting the quilting right on a home sewing machine? I know I can sub it out but I'd rather try myself.

If you have any tricks or favorite books or ideas to help get me thru this I will be forever grateful
Old 06-05-2022, 05:52 AM

I do a lot of quilt as you go. There are multiple ways of doing them. With sashing, without sashing etc. Lots of information on Youtube. You can quilt each block separately, or do a row at a time, or area at a time before putting it all together.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
I haven't made a large quilt (60x70) and I'm a bit afraid to at this time. I see so many I'd like to make but I think I would prefer to start with a smaller version, but at the same time, I don't think I'm afraid of the patchwork size but more so the backing and quilting part of it.

How did you overcome this anxiety of putting so much time and money into a quilt then not quite getting the quilting right on a home sewing machine? I know I can sub it out but I'd rather try myself.

If you have any tricks or favorite books or ideas to help get me thru this I will be forever grateful
I’m one who wants to quilt my quilts rather than sending them to someone else. The quilting is my favourite part. I started by learning fmq on small quilts that I donated to the Special Care Nursery. They weren’t perfect but I reckoned the babies wouldn’t notice. The more I made the better I got and then I started making lap quilts. I donated them to the Cancer Care unit. After awhile I decided to get brave and made twin sized quilts. Now I can wretstle a king sized on my 11 inch throat. Leah Day videos on how to fmq on a domestic were very helpful to me.

For me it was a case of getting really comfortable with smaller quilts and then jumping in and going larger. We are all different and what is intimidating for some isn’t as much for others so we won’t all approach our challenges the same way.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:34 AM

“For me it was a case of getting really comfortable with smaller quilts and then jumping in and going larger.”

Great advice! My strategy for all new challenges or goals is to start small.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
“For me it was a case of getting really comfortable with smaller quilts and then jumping in and going larger.”

Great advice! My strategy for all new challenges or goals is to start small.
Other advice: Allow yourself to be a beginner. Don’t expect perfect on the early tries. Practice makes progress.

You can also start out with straight line grid quilting using a walking foot. All my machine quilting was using a walking foot until recently. First on a travel machine (Elna Lotus), then upgrading to a big machine with a 5.5” harp! After taking HollyAnne Kinight’s Free Motion Quilting Academy, I now feel confident in adding FMQ to my quilts.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

My first big quilts were quilted using Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections. But I soon got tired of pin-basting (before the days of spray or glue basting) and bought a longarm. I think we all try various techniques until we find something that works for us.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:28 AM

I think it was Jenny Doan who said, "Finished is better than perfect." At least that is where I think I heard it. Just enjoy the process. It's those little imperfections that get better with time.

As for reducing the size of the quilt, I often find that the "field" of the quilt is large enough and I leave off the borders. I find it's harder to size square quilts. Rectangular block based quilts are easier to add a row at the top and botton or leave off a column of blocks on the sides. It's all in what pattern you choose.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:35 PM

To me, a 60 x 70 quilt is a perfect lap size quilt, though a 50 x 60 might be sufficient for some people. So if the pattern you like contains 8" or 10" blocks, just sew less rows. For example: If the pattern calls for 8" blocks with 8 blocks across and 9 down. (64" x 72") You can in most cases just leave off one row on the width and one row on the length (sew together 7 blocks across and 8 blocks down instead, giving you a 56" x 64" quilt. You can make it smaller still by reducing two rows on your width and two on the length as well. But you should also take into consideration the border on the quilt if you will be adding one. (not always nec.) Just make sure to select a rectangular quilt as opposed to a square one. Square quilts often have an all over pattern that is not conducive to shortening.

By the way, this is also a way of enlarging a quilt pattern - making your quilt bigger as well ( by adding more rows or borders)

Last edited by Schill93; 06-05-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
If you're looking to learn FMQ, I highly recommend Ranae Merrill's Free Motion Mastery in a Month online classes. I don't think she has special magic to impart, but the series of classes makes you do a bit of FMQ every day and takes you from one shape to another in a logical way. It makes it easier to do the designs when you see the basic shapes.

I've learned that sometimes you just have to do it. It might not be as perfect as you'd like, but you do have the satisfaction of having made the whole quilt yourself and not just made a quilt top that someone else finished which is something I really like.