Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Project Liinus in Thrift Store >

Project Liinus in Thrift Store

Project Liinus in Thrift Store

Old 06-29-2022, 05:21 AM

Unhappy Project Liinus in Thrift Store

Yesterday while out and about I had time to kill so I stopped in Salvation Army just to look around. Checking out the linens for anything I could use as a quilt backing I spied a cute little girls quilt. Pinks with BEAUTIFUL machine quilting. I was then shocked to see a Project Linus tag sewn to the backside of it. Why would a parent give it away? Didn't the child want to snuggle with it? It wasn't to the parents liking? Had the child out grown it? It wasn't worn, torn or tatered. In all the quilts I've sewn for this organization I never once considered one ending up in a thrift shop. I'm still mystified....and a little heart-broken.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:37 AM

child probably outgrew it. Donating to thrifts is another way of playing it forward.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:39 AM

I think when you give a gift, you always have to be prepared for the possibility that the recipient won’t like it or won’t use it. Yes, it can break you heart, but you are obviously someone whose heart is so big, that you will still have plenty left to give.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:39 AM

Have been admiring your wonderful quilts !

Perhaps , worst case scenario something happened in the home and the Project Linus quilt was a painful reminder.

Other Ideas , 💡 Quilters
Old 06-29-2022, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

There could be many reasons. I see quilts in thrift stores, some seem almost new. I don't see anything wrong in quilts being given to thrift stores. I'd rather a quilt be available to be taken to new home then disposed of.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
There could be many reasons. I see quilts in thrift stores, some seem almost new. I don't see anything wrong in quilts being given to thrift stores. I'd rather a quilt be available to be taken to new home then disposed of.
A very kind and thoughtful attitude!
Old 06-30-2022, 03:18 AM

For whatever reason the quilt landed in the thrift it's better than being used as a dog bed. Another little girl will get to enjoy it now.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I donate a lot of quilts. When they leave my home I let go. I have high hopes they will be loved and used.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:59 PM

I've picked up a few quilts from thrift stores. I look for a label, but none are on them. I've got 2 receiving blankets but it's more or less as a guide for me when I decide to Subscribe make one. I like to duplicate patterns if it calls out to me.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:54 PM

I've read about people who find a quilt with a label in a quilt store, hunt down the family, and return it to them. I dread that happening to me some day. I don't want the quilt back and I don't want to know that's where it was found.

My first thought about this Project Linus quilt is maybe the child died, or was adopted, and the family decided to pass the quilt on to someone else because of the memories attached to it.