Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022

Old 07-02-2022, 02:44 AM

Spent yesterday packing up all the tops, backs, batting and miscellaneous "stuff!" I need to take to my group's work day. I am cutting back and batting and making mini kits so I can speed a long with spray basting and/or pinning. We meet at a library and they have large tables we can use for layering. What a blessing to have this site open to us.

Discovered I needed three backing pieces and found one bargain at a local quilt store A wide-back for less than $4.00 per yard is unheard of but I found one! Yeah!!. Looking forward to a good day of prepping for quilting.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:30 AM

Default Saturay

Well my day is off to a rip roarin' start. I was measuring one of my blocks to figure out new measurements for strips, I heard a dull thud outside and now I'm sitting in the dark.

Electric company has been called and my road is showing on the outage map, but there's no telling how long this is going to take and today we are supposed to see temps up near 100 with the heat index.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:36 AM

Day 2 of VQW: Pleased to report that inventory completed and we have donated more than we have sold. All the ladies who gave their scraps to us when we started must be smiling.
Scrap piecing project is 45% (9 blocks out of 20) done, and hopefully will get 3 more blocks done today.
Quilt nearly loaded, need to wind a few bobbins/change needle on the longarm.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:57 AM

Well that didn't take long, lol. Power guys showed right up to my yard, looked up and saw the connection between the wires and the transformer was off. Had a dead squirrel in the yard right under it, they were cracking jokes while they hooked me back up.

I have dumb squirrels that live on my property, I swear. At least once or twice a year, they have to come out and re-connect the lines and the transformer because one of the squirrels will be taking their usual morning run on the high wire and instead of jumping over the connection, they step on it. And it's always the same two power guys, we're on a first name basis - LOL. Refilled their coffee from the pot I had just made, wished them a Happy 4th of July and to stay safe and came back inside. Back to quilting!
Old 07-02-2022, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
Well that didn't take long, lol. Power guys showed right up to my yard, looked up and saw the connection between the wires and the transformer was off. Had a dead squirrel in the yard right under it, they were cracking jokes while they hooked me back up.

I have dumb squirrels that live on my property, I swear. At least once or twice a year, they have to come out and re-connect the lines and the transformer because one of the squirrels will be taking their usual morning run on the high wire and instead of jumping over the connection, they step on it. And it's always the same two power guys, we're on a first name basis - LOL. Refilled their coffee from the pot I had just made, wished them a Happy 4th of July and to stay safe and came back inside. Back to quilting!
Good to hear the power is back on. Way too hot to be without power. Squirrels are definitely not my favorite animals. We have a lot of problems with them here. Luckily, since we got the young dog, she chases them away. Our neighbors on one side have a lab and a GSD so I think the squirrels have moved out for now. They probably all went to the lawyer's house who lives on the other side of us. lol
Old 07-02-2022, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

It's a lovely morning! But instead of staying home to sew, I'm off to the quilting store to buy the stuff I will need for a class I signed up for. They require you purchase all materials there, so instead of getting to use my stash of Kaffe fabrics, I have to go buy a dozen new Kaffe fat quarters... and three rulers! That chafes a bit, but I will do it because I really want to take the class. So... sewing may happen in the afternoon today when I get back.

I let the dog out a little while ago and he immediately took off. I thought he had seen a squirrel, but then all these deer jumped out from behind our barn and ran... Deer everywhere! It was like a flock of birds taking off. I shudder to see what they have done to the garden. They are so beautiful tho... it's hard to be mad at them.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:56 AM

Here is my butterfly quilt. I am debating doing some extra stitching within the butterfly circles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F5E80E6C-9436-403E-BA60-E1798312B10A.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	639824  
Old 07-02-2022, 07:57 AM

This morning I sandwiched this community quilt top I made a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5A069DCD-258B-4364-B2E3-B410D6FDCE65.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	639825  
Old 07-02-2022, 09:01 AM

Love the piano keys on the butterfly quilt and that community top will make someone very happy.
I am working on a commissioned t shirt quilt, which is not my favorite kind of quilt to make, but it does need to happen.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:57 AM

LAF. I have T-shirt’s to make a quilt. What is the best interfacing to use for these? And how many yards does it usually take? This will probably be the first and last I do.