Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 1-4, 2022

Old 07-03-2022, 12:02 PM

My aunt is a genuine blue ribbon quilter. 40+ years. Every point precise and perfect, never floating, never cut off.

And she asked for my help learning how to spray baste.

So we did a lesson yesterday (with a scrappy). . Today a little time spent on some Ohio stars. I need to ...and I haven't counted yet but I think I have 18 done. Whew! It would be nice to finish a UFO

Also went to Mardens in Maine and purchased entirely too much fabric.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:55 PM

I got the truck quilt put together. It went much better today. I did find the remedy for my cutting problems yesterday - I had put 2 blades in my rotary cutter. First time I ever did that. No more sewing for me. I have guests coming tomorrow and Tuesday. I have to clean house. Hope everyone gets lots accomplished!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonka panel.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	639843  
Old 07-03-2022, 01:40 PM

So far sewing has been a bust for me. Tried to sew after church but DH wanted to change a outlet in our 70 year old house. Due to the wiring it takes two of us to insure safety, only took 20 minutes. I was able to do a little proof reading on a pattern, that was fine with DH wandering in and out of the house. Then I was trying to set up the living room table to iron but he kept wandering thru. So I set down with him and found out why he couldn't focus on what he wanted to do in the garage. It was because there was no background noise, a few weeks ago the TV/DVD player he had out there died and we hadn't replaced it yet. Well a quick trip to Walmart $125.00 later, he has our old DVD player out there and a Roku TV that actually can see the WIFI so he is fine now.

I got everything pressed that I wanted and started to sew the finished blocks together. After I tried to sew the same two squares together 3 times and still haven't been able to match the points! I guess I'm just not in the mood to do something this fussy so I guess I'm going to change gears and get this mess of a sewing room under control. Lets Clean!!

I might try to sew latter when DH goes to a friends place where he's going to play some music with them. Or I might just sit and have a glass of wine and watch a movie. Who knows?

Old 07-03-2022, 02:42 PM

I’ve been slowly working away at piecing the outside frame of the BOM from thequiltshow,com last year, now to try to insert the centre circle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6EE1BA88-A694-4DF9-8CC5-E7EC43992B94.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	639844  
Old 07-03-2022, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

QuiltBaer, very nice looking truck quilt! Like how you added the top and bottom rows to 'rectangle' it.

thimblebug, just LOVE the city setting you have made. Now what will go in the center?

We had a nice church Independance Day picnic today, and when we got home I intended to sew but instead took a big nap. Now I'm working on cutting the white parts of a log cabin bouquet quilt, for a class I will take in a couple of weeks. I have all the Kaffe prints cut, just finishing up the whites. This is the quilt we will be making, using new Creative Grids log cabin rulers.

https://d3at71ghfqf560.cloudfront.ne.../CLPJAW073.jpg

Mine will have more blue, green and purple than this quilt.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the posts and pictures, it always helps to keep motivated when I “know” others are stitching as well.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:55 PM

Default Sunday Update

Still waiting on my coffee to finish brewing, my sister woke me up a little while ago and we had a good laugh about the dumb squirrel yesterday morning.

Progress on the table quilt, more of it is marked and if I stay on track throughout the night, I'll be done marking and will be able to start sandwiching it tomorrow morning before I go to bed. I've narrowed down three different threads I want to use, I took pictures but I'm waiting for my phone to email them so I can post them, but I'm kind of stuck on the thread. I'll post when I finally get the pictures on my laptop.

Progress also on the Flower Chain, finally being able to figure out what I was doing wrong with the coping strips has been a huge elephant off my back and I can really start making some better progress.

I have to do some dishes tonight before the heat hits, I made up some cold munchies for the next few days before I went to bed, supposed to see triple digit temps without the heat index. My plan is to do some dishes, mark my table quilt, then be at my sewing machine in between.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:44 AM

Reporting that 3 blocks done, so that's a total of 12 out of 20. Got distracted by being in the mood to cut scraps into 2.5" strips, so I took a whack at that for a while and I'm also piecing 4.5" four patch squares for a big project. I do between 2 and 20 of those little things every day and throw them in a bin working toward at least 310.
Regarding the blackberry jam: I feel your pain! I had to clean a canner Saturday night. I've canned stuff for 30 years and it's the second time I had a jar break. Sad to see sweet and sour zucchini pickles go to waste!
Old 07-04-2022, 04:21 AM

Thimblebug, I can't imagine making that quilt, but I admire anyone that does. A lady in our guild made it and won a ribbon at the state show. It is amazing and so interesting to look at.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:00 AM

So far, my morning has been.....an adventure. Warning - there's bugs and spiders in this post!

Once I posted earlier, I went into the kitchen and spent about twenty minutes getting the table quilt marked. It's been slow going because I don't want to use a pounce pad, the horror stories I've heard just makes me not want to try it, but I'm making progress. My back couldn't take too much of that, though, along with my shoulder, so after I stood up and did a few dishes, I went into my sewing corner and turned it on. I'm turning around to get my coffee, I turn back to my machine.....big brown reddish wolf spider just drops on the top of my machine and just looks at me like 'hey, how's it going?' Spider was at least the size of a half dollar, no joke, so I get startled, drop my coffee cup and quickly swatted it with a nearby magazine. So now, I'm wearing coffee and clean off the top of my machine, go change clothes, get more coffee, sit back down and as I'm reaching for my iron to turn it on, there's this big ol' assassin bug just slowly walking toward my hand. I've been bit by those before, pain just doesn't describe what you feel, it's just a really bad bite, so I grab my trusty magazine and swat it....now my ironing pad has its remains on it. I take it off my ironing station, hand wash it and it's currently drying on my counter.

No more bugs, so far, I've been able to make a couple more of the chain blocks, I go into the kitchen to get a good stretch in working on the table quilt. I had my 4 x 18 ruler in there that was getting in the way, so I go to move it and as I'm trying to get it on the hook in my sewing corner, I drop it behind my sewing cabinet and I hear a loud snap. At this point, I'm on the floor, looking for my ruler that I know I have broke, my goofy boy dog decides to announce he needs to go outside but I didn't know he's directly behind me so when he lets loose his grumpy bark, it scares me and my hair gets caught up into all the wires under my cabinet.

At this point, I'm seriously considering that I don't need to quilt at this point, I need to find as much bubble wrap as I can, sew up a bubble outfit and then try to quilt again. The good news, I was able to untangle from the wires and my ruler isn't broken, corners are fine even.

I've ordered bug bombs - they should be here Wednesday.