Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Heat wave foods >

Heat wave foods

Heat wave foods

Old 07-15-2022, 12:24 PM

Default Heat wave foods

When the weather is so hot, it’s hard to get enthused on cooking. Egg & tuna salad sandwiches, cut up watermelon, fruit. We had one meal of roast in the crockpot this week. Might make a stroganoff with the remaining cold roast.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:38 PM

You are so right ..hard to be interested in cooking when temps are 117 degrees.

salads are great. And of course any cold dessert. 😊
Old 07-15-2022, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Roast beef sandwich with a bit of horseradish on the bread is delicious! My gran used to cut leftover roast beef into 1/4 to 3/8 slices, dip them in beaten egg and bread with breadcrumbs. She would then lightly fry until golden brown for another meal.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:42 PM

We usually have salads and sandwiches when its too hot to cook.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:48 AM

I tend to grill a lot when it's hot, but to go with whatever's on the grill, I make salads (macaroni, potato, etc.) early in the day. They taste better with time for the flavors to blend anyway.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:21 AM

My DH wouldn't eat salads or vegetables. To him a meal was meat, potatoes and gravy - but then he'd tell me it was "too hot to eat!" My hot weather meal - which I could only pull off once - was cold cuts or hot dogs with canned backed beans and jello. I could maybe add carrot and celery sticks.
Now that I'm alone I can have fruit and yogurt one meal, a salad another and a sandwich with pickles for supper.
Still not losing any weight....
Old 07-20-2022, 01:45 AM

I prepared all the fixings for burritos yesterday morning - spicy black beans, a little chicken, brown rice, etc. They were yummy for dinner with some fruit on the side. I will use the leftovers for bowls later this week. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!
Old 07-20-2022, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Its been 105 -110 degrees here for while. The house is cool so the heat doesn't make any difference to us in terms of too hot to cook or eat. I am happy with a bowl of soup or chili any time summer or winter.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-20-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Its been 105 -110 degrees here for while. The house is cool so the heat doesn't make any difference to us in terms of too hot to cook or eat. I am happy with a bowl of soup or chili any time summer or winter.
I was just coming to say the same thing. The house is cool. I cook the evening meal because I want to and cook what I feel like eating. Mr. Stitchnripper is always happy for the meal, no matter what it is.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:46 AM

Chicken salad, egg salad, ham salad, pimento cheese, Chinese coleslaw, cowboy caviar, jello salad with fruit all of these rotate out and get me thru summer. I do enjoy our air fryer for not heating up the kitchen. Nothing fancy. It's just too hot to cook.