Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
 How much do you pay for 'quilter's cotton" thread >

How much do you pay for 'quilter's cotton" thread

How much do you pay for 'quilter's cotton" thread

Old 07-17-2022, 07:04 PM
Gay

Default How much do you pay for 'quilter's cotton" thread

DD & I were in our Spotlight store for fabric, batting & backing & colored thread for her quilt. They had 3000 mtr cones - 4 for $20 probably with polyester, but not the right color. Then found 2 cones labled 'Quilters Cotton' the correct shade but no price. Asked the assistant - after picking myself up from the floor, we said no to $50 each (because it was all cotton) and put it back.

So how much do you pay in your country?
Old 07-17-2022, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

I use auroral spools for machine sewing so I can’t speak for thread cones. I would look on the net for those specific cones and check the price elsewhere.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:20 PM

I've spent $15 to $20 on a 1300 meter cone.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:54 PM

Sorry, I've never heard of that brand before, so have no idea what it goes for here in the states. Are you sure it was "Quilter's Cotton" and not "Quilter's Select" cotton? Quilter's Select is Alex Anderson's brand, so I wouldn't be surprised at the hefty price. I've found most of the QS-branded stuff is pretty expensive.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:42 AM

Aurifil 50 wt cotton thread is a popular option here in the states and their cones 6452 yards or 5899 meters currently cost $40. Just a few years back I would commonly pay $25. Another example of runaway inflation.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:09 AM

I was shocked at the price of cotton thread as I prefer it for my longarm. I am now going to readjust and spend a few days playing with poly threads till I find a brand I like.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:09 AM

I like the Superior thread's SoFine which is a poly thread for my longarm. My friend loves Glide poly on hers. Superior threads have gone up in price as has all thread. Glide is less expensive then SoFine. I was going to order more colors to have on hand as we do not have a good supply source locally but after looking at the price, I changed my mind and will try and work with what I have for a while and then I seriously am thinking about using limited colors as SoFine is a finer thread yet strong enough and will blend in better than the thicker ones.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:37 AM

I'm not sure it is available in Australia, but Wawak sells Aurifil and several other brands at amazingly low prices. The large spool of Aurifil is $7.95 - and if you order 12 (asst. colors) its only $7.59 per spool. That's almost half of most retail pricing. They ship quickly too. www.wawak.com
Old 07-18-2022, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I use Superior Omni thread the most for machine quilting. It's about $16 for 6000 yard cone now. It's poly. For cotton I like Superior Masterpiece, I bought many cones of it on a clearance sale before covid. Now it is $50 plus for 5000 yard cone! https://www.wawak.com/ has good thread at reasonable prices. It takes some thinking to figure out the tex numbers though.