Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Heat wave foods >

Heat wave foods

Heat wave foods

Old 07-21-2022, 03:56 AM

The heat and humidity is awful but it's cool inside. I bought an AirFryer and it's a lifesaver, keeps the house from heating up and the A/C doesn't have to work as hard.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:17 PM

I love salads and sandwiches as much as anyone, but I have to have at least some hot meals even in hot weather. I often crank up the electric pressure cooker (aka Instant Pot) in the morning, cook a one-pot meal like chili or taco soup or whatever, refrigerate it, and reheat in individual bowls in the microwave for supper. I also use the slow cooker for a meaty spaghetti sauce. I cook the pasta in the a.m. and refrigerate until serving time at dinner. Both the pressure cooker and the slow cooker help me avoid heating up the kitchen (and me) in the hottest part of day, which can be brutal here in the southern US.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:01 AM

Ok, I think my AC may not even have come on yesterday as our high was 73 yesterday, but to join in with the rest of the country, I had a quick no cook supper. Just a dinner roll with a bit of miracle whip, canned chicken breast, and a tomato slice. It was actually quite good. For dessert I had a pineapple fruit cup. easy peasy, not even much clean up. Today, the high is supposed to be 70 so I may actually cook something for dinner, but maybe not. I am a no cook mood! Have to water the garden (tiny in pots garden) so I may just graze on yellow and red raspberries as that is what is getting ripe out there tomorrow. There may be some hope for tomatoes and green beans soon. Some of my friends have said that gardening in northern minnesota is a true act of faith!
Old 07-24-2022, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Bacon 🥓 and tomato 🍅 toasted sandwiches for supper last night.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:16 AM

I make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches in the skillet a lot. I put mayo on the inside of each piece of bread, then a slice of Colby Jack cheese on each bread piece and thin sliced honey ham for the center.. Butter the outside of the bread sandwich and after the bread is lightly toasted, I check to see if the ham in the middle is warm. If not, I put the sandwich in the microwave for 7 to 10 seconds. Slice diagonally & enjoy with chips or fruit or ???
Edited to add: You can do this with any sliced meat and cheese. Some cheeses don't melt very well. Too stringy isn't good.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-24-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:36 AM

I love taco salads and blt's, fruit. Grilling is great, but in the hot weather I don't like going out to grill, so I wait for the cooler weather, if we get any.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

5 bean salad and deviled eggs for supper tonight. I also cleaned a big bowl of leaf lettuce and made my Dad’s favourite dressing for it.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
5 bean salad and deviled eggs for supper tonight. I also cleaned a big bowl of leaf lettuce and made my Dad’s favourite dressing for it.
2 of our favorites !
Old 07-26-2022, 10:42 AM

Pretend Sandwiches--one of my favorite hot weather sandwiches.

2 slicwe of your preferred bread
1 bottle catsup
1 bottle mustard
1 slice yellow onion

put catsup on one slice
mustard on second slice
press them together and mix them around slightly to mix the mustard & catsup
add the onion to one slice
top with other slice
decide what you are eating in your thoughts--What kind of meat, does it have cheese & what type, do you need to add pickles--it's all in your mind. Sometimes I'm out of onion so I have to pretend that as well.

Eaten all in good fun. And yes, I eat them often.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I have been using a lot of Jamie Oliver recipes. Quick one pan dishes. They are wonderful.
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...e-pan-recipes/

I love the green rice recipe.