Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Points and Peaks >

Points and Peaks

Points and Peaks

Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 AM

Default Points and Peaks

Well, I fell in love with a totally scrappy quilt on Pinterest the other day and finally tracked it down to Kaye Englands book "Spikes and Peaks" with the quilt being called Points and Peaks. It calls for the half rectangle template which I already own and know I have enough scraps for the quilt and may only have to buy the backing. Has any one made this quilt? (Pictures please). Debating on going totally scrappy or maybe all greens with a mixture of cream/tan/white for the background. Hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:12 AM

Default Here's mine

I was given this pattern/fabric from someone who did not want to finish it. They were doing it as a mystery block of the month. Didn't find out the name of it till I was done, but loved the pattern. Totally scrappy would be fine. That's how this one was (with batiks). It's such a great pattern any colorway would look good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilted mystery star.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	538.0 KB
ID:	640214  
Old 08-11-2022, 09:15 AM

When I googled the quiilt name, I found a youtube video of someone paging through the book, so I was able to see the quilt! (It's the second quilt in the book.)

As DH always says when I ask for his advice on a design element, 'It depends on the effect you want.' I love single color quilts; I think greens would have a more subuded, calming appearance, and a multi-colored scrappy would be more lively. I think either would be great choice.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:39 AM

That is a nice pattern and would work any number of ways. I've got several groups of fabric that might work well (starts pondering). : )

The blocks look like they could be made larger or smaller without much trouble. A bigger block would showcase some larger prints that I can't bear to cut too small.

For a scrappy quilt I'm most comfortable with a limited color palette, as a true scrappy free-for-all is way outside my comfort zone. But that's just me, as many seem to enjoy the randomness.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:55 AM

Fun pattern that should look great in any color way. Full/random scrappy or control the color - either way it’s certain to work! Look forward to seeing your progress!
Old 08-12-2022, 03:11 AM

You assked for photos. I have not made Spikes and Peaks, but my quilt group made Wonky Stars as an exchange block activity 10 years ago. It will give you a sense of what a really scrappy version would look like. I love this old friend quilt and am sitting under it as I type this message.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wonky Star Resized.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	640217  
Old 08-12-2022, 03:50 AM

Love that pattern. Just went to Kaye England's site and bought the PDF pattern.
I downloaded the pattern and it's a 44 page book for $5.00! Quite the bargain!

Last edited by QuiltBaer; 08-12-2022 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM

OK. Love this pattern. Just what I need, another quilt pattern, but I have sooo many scraps that will look awesome used this way.