Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers >

Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers

Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers

Old 09-01-2022, 06:12 PM

I have a significant collection of CG rulers and I do love them. I like the + 1/2” feature, I don’t have trouble with slipping (but I do use a weight on the far end when making long cuts), and the black/white markings are easy to read.

One of my friends is sponsored by Quilters Select, so I bought one of their rulers to try (12.5” by 6.5”). I like the frosted yellow color of the ruler, and I think the very fine black lines give me more accurate cuts. It does grip the fabric very well and I have no trouble with slipping, but it’s a 12.5” ruler so I’m not making long cuts. I haven’t been rough with the ruler so I can’t speak to the durability of the non slip coating. I find the color to be very easy to read, but I’ve read that others think it is harder to read than a clear ruler. I guess it’s completely individual.

I think a quilter should pick a brand of rulers and stick with it. I’ve done that with CG. If I were starting with no rulers today, I would probably go with QS because of those fine black lines. I still love my CG rulers and don’t regret buying them, but there is no way I’m replacing the dozens of rulers I own with new ones.

I know they are expensive, but I recommend you buy one that you think you would use fairly often (maybe 6.5” or 8.5” square?) and test it for yourself.

Hope this helps,

Darren
Old 09-01-2022, 06:24 PM
mkc

It's highly subjective and I would recommend testing both to see what you like.

Personally, the color of QS rulers causes me eye strain. There's another brand also with yellow/bright yellow green color that does the same.

Most of my rulers are Creative Grids.

There's no wrong answer - it's what works best FOR YOU, not what anyone else thinks.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:20 AM

Creative Grids are my choice. They are easier to read and while they have some grip on them, they still slide when I want them to. The Quilters Select are too grippy for me.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:20 AM

I love the CG rulers.The black and white markings are easier to see on different color fabrics. I like the 1/2 inch feature on one edge. You can always add more dots to the back if needed to help with any slipping issues.

You may want to re-check the cutting technique if you get slippage when cutting. Check that the table, mat, and ruler aren't bowed in one area. Make sure to apply firm pressure on the ruler.

Technique-Watch the position of the left hand on the fabric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfvKE0Y6npk

I have 2 -3 QS rulers and just not a fan. The frost color and all those markings aren't working for me. I use the long ruler as an extension when cutting long pieces. Otherwise it hangs on a hook.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:06 AM

Very interesting discussion comparing these 2 brands. I am still using my OmniGrid rulers I bought 20+ years ago. My 6x 12 has a hole in the corner at the quarter inch mark that Alex Anderson drilled during a class I took from her in the 1990s. I have noticed some wear in the corners, so may need to start replacing the 2 I use the most: 6 x 12 and 15 x 15.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I think the plastic is softer and it slowly scrapes off when the rotary cutter passes by on it.

For all your QS rulers to be bowed is odd.
I checked my QS rulers with a carpenter's square and no bow in my QS rulers not even the older ones. Maybe the way you are holding the cutter to rub the side of the ruler? i don't know your cutting style but my rotary cutter or blade never touches the ruler at all when I cut. When I started quilting I took a ruler and cutting class at a fabric shop taught by Omnigrid. I discovered I was cutting with the rotary cutter wrong. That class has paid for itself many times over the years with less wear on the blade and mats or damage to my rulers.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:51 PM

After using a Quilter's Select ruler for the first time, I was hooked. I have replaced all of my rulers with them by buying one or two when I would see a sale on The Quilt Show.

I've never noticed anything coming off of the back, but I do think the corners get chipped too easily. No problem, I just turn the ruler around and use the other side.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:07 PM

Well, I just ordered a 6 1/2 x 6 1/2" ruler to try one out. Twenty six bucks for that little guy. Figured I'd test the water in small steps to see what I think. Thank you for all your input. Funny how someone's prince charming is someone else's frog.

Last edited by Schill93; 09-02-2022 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:12 PM

I am in the same boat as SuzSLO - I amm still using the OmniGrids. I go to Joann and buy the thinnest plastic yardage they have and cut the pieces to fit the back of the rulers and the rulers are sticky enough for me. (I also cut the plastic into strips as wide as my thread spools and long enough to wrap around one and a half times to keep the thread from unwrapping.)
Old 09-04-2022, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I am in the same boat as SuzSLO - I amm still using the OmniGrids. I go to Joann and buy the thinnest plastic yardage they have and cut the pieces to fit the back of the rulers and the rulers are sticky enough for me. (I also cut the plastic into strips as wide as my thread spools and long enough to wrap around one and a half times to keep the thread from unwrapping.)
That's interesting. Does the plastic stay put on the back of your ruler? Do you know what gauge plastic you use? I know one company sells something in rolled sheets to put on the back of your ruler, but the cost is most likely quadrupled the cost of a yard of thin plastic.