Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Entered my First Show! Some Questions… >

Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Old 09-16-2022, 12:18 PM

Maybe the judges didn't know very much about Poe other than recognizing that he wrote poetry and short stories, etc. Knowing more of his history would have given a different viewpoint on your quilt. Its a great depiction of Poe, in my opinion. Keep doing YOUR style and keep entering your work and by all means always get the judges feedback via critique notes.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:34 PM

I am glad you got it uploaded. Love your talent, your fabrics, your colors. Now the only thing I don’t like is the outer perimeter. I am certainly not a quilt show judge, never entered a quilt show, but I know what I like and don’t like. So don’t get upset because I am old for one thing and another thing I have been told I’m OCD about my sewing-lol- Really, you have amazing talent and it took confidence to enter something so different than the norm. Don’t let your belief in yourself diminish, but also don’t be so self assured that you can’t listen to helpful criticism. I guess I’m saying personally, I like a straight outer edge whether it’s square or rectangle. Anything in the top itself can be just as you’ve made it here. You called it ‘weird’ I call it awesome! You can do my portrait anytime but I want a squared up outer edge!-lol❤️😀
Old 09-16-2022, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
Judging at quilt shows is really based on the judges personal preferences of technique, style and even color. I have a friend who is a renowned Hawaiian quilter for decades and designed and taught Hawaiian quilting entered her quilt in a show and was criticized by the judges basically because they didn't do hand applique and quilting and didn't like that technique. I entered one of my Hawaiian quilts in show and won a blue ribbon but the notes they wrote in one section were really strange indicating they had no idea about Hawaiian quilts. Your quilt is lovely and it is yours and if it makes you happy that's all that matters. Keep quilting, don't give up.
Thanks for this! Okay I’m glad to hear that it’s not gonna be the same everywhere (awful that they couldn’t see what was up with the Hawaiian quilts though). Thank you! I definitely wouldn’t give up - but this experience had me thinking maybe I shouldn’t be calling it a quilt or something!
Old 09-16-2022, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I am glad you got it uploaded. Love your talent, your fabrics, your colors. Now the only thing I don’t like is the outer perimeter. I am certainly not a quilt show judge, never entered a quilt show, but I know what I like and don’t like. So don’t get upset because I am old for one thing and another thing I have been told I’m OCD about my sewing-lol- Really, you have amazing talent and it took confidence to enter something so different than the norm. Don’t let your belief in yourself diminish, but also don’t be so self assured that you can’t listen to helpful criticism. I guess I’m saying personally, I like a straight outer edge whether it’s square or rectangle. Anything in the top itself can be just as you’ve made it here. You called it ‘weird’ I call it awesome! You can do my portrait anytime but I want a squared up outer edge!-lol❤️😀
thank you so much!! Haha for a commission I will do whatever you want 😂 and I totally get you or anyone, even judges, preferring quilts to be squared or not liking the shape -I knew that it wouldnt be the norm. And also knew it eliminated me from any category other than art. Any crituque is totally welcomed- I know there are certain mistakes in there I might try to fix actually (may try to add more straight line quilting bc it’s not as obvious as I wanted from distance ).

What really hurt , and why I was going to forget about the notes- was to hear that they thought it doesn’t belong in their quilt show. Like I injured the institution of quilting or something 😭

Me personally, my art style is the opposite of squared so I have to play with the edges! If it helps I did that perimeter because the idea of the background was to be a camera aperture opening (bc it’s based on the famous photograph of Poe )
Old 09-16-2022, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
Maybe the judges didn't know very much about Poe other than recognizing that he wrote poetry and short stories, etc. Knowing more of his history would have given a different viewpoint on your quilt. Its a great depiction of Poe, in my opinion. Keep doing YOUR style and keep entering your work and by all means always get the judges feedback via critique notes.
This means so much from someone who knows about Poe thank you!! ❤️ I’m a big poe fan can you tell haha. I will probably get them now, since pretty much everyone has encouraged me that yes it belongs , and if it says otherwise I’ll just ignore it lol . An will try to find another show that’s more art focused to mail it to - do you know of any?
Old 09-16-2022, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Judges have to careful and know the environment of the show. If the major ribbons go to the very different type of quilts then the more traditional quilt makers will be upset and think it's not worth entering again. If not a category for them then more then likely the different quilts will be over looked for the top ribbons.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Judges have to careful and know the environment of the show. If the major ribbons go to the very different type of quilts then the more traditional quilt makers will be upset and think it's not worth entering again. If not a category for them then more then likely the different quilts will be over looked for the top ribbons.
oh of course and I knew going in there was no way I’d get a winner ribbon like 1-5th place. And I didn’t think anything of it . Until people were telling me they thought it was so unfair that I didn’t get a “merit” one because some people thought it shouldn’t be there at all .(there were a ton of those - not any winnings just like general recognition) Tripped me up! Thank you so much
Old 09-16-2022, 03:23 PM

I've shown cars for years and showed horses back in the day. Its pretty rare to win on your first time out. There's a lot involved in winning no matter what you are showing and its takes a few tries to learn what makes a winning quilt (or anything else). People are always going to criticize you. I hear a lot of that at car shows especially being one of the few women showing her car. You have to develop a tough skin and let it go. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

I agree with Peggi. You can either make quilts that you want to make or make quilts to win prizes. Sometimes the two will be the same, sometimes not. Up to you what you want to do.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:59 PM

I went to a show once where there were several 'art' quilts (there was a square one, a round one, an oval one and several others that I wasn't quite sure of what shape they would be called) and none of them won ribbons even though they were outstanding. In discussion about it later (none were mine - I don't enter shows) It was said that the judges only wanted quilts that were designed for use, like baby quilts, bed size quilts, and throw size for judging in those categories. They hung the 'art' quilts, but didn't even really judge them as they were a category that they didn't want. The judges considered them wall quilts. Apparently they weren't even supposed to be accepted for the show to begin with and were basically disqualified.

Your quilt is fantastic. Great work and skill! But, perhaps the above is maybe another reason they didn't consider it a 'quilt'.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 09-16-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by TypewriterMice View Post
This means so much from someone who knows about Poe thank you!! ❤️ I’m a big poe fan can you tell haha. I will probably get them now, since pretty much everyone has encouraged me that yes it belongs , and if it says otherwise I’ll just ignore it lol . An will try to find another show that’s more art focused to mail it to - do you know of any?
I don't know of any art quilt shows but if you google: Art Quilt Shows you'll get a lot of information.