Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns or blocks that have minimal piecing and show off the focus fabric? >

Patterns or blocks that have minimal piecing and show off the focus fabric?

Patterns or blocks that have minimal piecing and show off the focus fabric?

Old 09-28-2022, 10:57 AM

I don't know what size quilt you'd like to make, but what about cutting about 12 inches or so, wof and insert a row of pieced blocks in the fat quarters you have, in between the top 12 inch WOF piece and the majority of your fabric yardage? That would only give you a quilt the width of the fabric though, but not too many blocks to piece, since you don't care to piece.
Framing with a border would make it larger. However, to border with this fabric, would take some figuring and take away from your width, because you'd have to keep the fabric pattern going in the right direction.
If the WOF is large enough for you, you could cut the length you wanted say for a throw, and probably still have some to use as a piece on the back.
Good luck and be sure to let us see what you decide.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:12 PM

Check out the patterns from FabricCafe.com. They have lots of patterns for larger blocks with minimal cutting.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:30 PM

There is a quilt that I like called Barnaby's Bands. The largest block that you see in the photo is 4 1/2" wide by 10" long.
You could feature your print in the larger bands.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/431360470558922915/

Old 09-29-2022, 03:39 AM

I somewhat agree with sewbizgirl. Treat this as a panel. Maybe even downsize it to what you want in the center and put a small border in, then repeat the focus fabric as an outside border. Another idea would be to leave it as is and use your fat quarters as a piano key border.
Depending on how big those designs are, it would be easy to quilt a curving line around the "medallions", letting them be showcased. Mostly a "rule of thumb" is to have quilting no more than 4" apart so I'm not sure if this piece meets that criteria. I'd do quilting that highlights this design since you like it so well. Many of the other alternatives could override the very thing you like about this piece of fabric.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Warm Wishes pattern makes good use of large squares of focus fabric with a couple of coordinating fabrics.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:13 AM

Check out this post about "ugly quilts". I used the idea to cut 18" squares of my seashells collection. You can really appreciate the different fabrics that I painstakingly acquired and cherished!

https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...t-t317599.html
Old 09-29-2022, 05:35 PM

Here is another quilt that might work for you with the kind of fabric you have.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:17 AM

Donna Jordan has a quilt pattern that might work called "Chain Links"

Chain Links
Old 09-30-2022, 07:32 AM

Default Similar problem....

Originally Posted by magicmoonmusings View Post
I have about 3 yards of this fabric and I LOVE it so much. I generally don't like cutting up beautiful fabric into small pieces, I like showing off the focus fabric. I also just hate piecing in general (I prefer applique and embroidery) so I try to keep piecing to a minimum.

Any ideas please? I also have a bunch of fat quarters that would coordinate well with this fabric. I don't have a final size in mind, I just want to make something beautiful because this is one of favourite fabrics ever.

I had a similar problem...loved the fabric and did not want to cut it...so I made a smaller quilt - about 1/3 to 1/2 size with beautiful coordinating fabrics and attached the finished smaller quilt in the center of the fabric. It was perfect!
Old 10-02-2022, 01:29 AM

The Floored pattern by Wooly Petals would look great with this fabric for all the large blocks and a dark color from the fabric for the x blocks. There is also a free pattern on the Wooly Petals site called Wash Your Paws which is basically 4 large bear paws. You could use large squares of your fabric in place of the patchwork for each paw.