Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston IQF >

Houston IQF

Houston IQF

Old 10-01-2022, 01:33 PM

it was on my bucket list, but life kept getting in my way i did go to some large regional shows and found that I needed to look at all the quilts first, taking notes and sometimes taking pictures of quilts or techniques I liked. Then I went shopping - I only spent cash so I would not buy more than I could afford.

One thing that was fun was seeing all of the fun jackets, etc that some of the attendees were wearing - they were inspirational too.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
it was on my bucket list, but life kept getting in my way i did go to some large regional shows and found that I needed to look at all the quilts first, taking notes and sometimes taking pictures of quilts or techniques I liked. Then I went shopping - I only spent cash so I would not buy more than I could afford.

One thing that was fun was seeing all of the fun jackets, etc that some of the attendees were wearing - they were inspirational too.
When you see a jacket you like, as the wearer if you can take a picture. I do a lot of wearable art and I'm always pleased to pose for pics in one of my jackets. It makes me feel good.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:34 AM

I am going!! It is a girls weekend
Old 10-03-2022, 04:29 PM

I went with two friends in 2015. We planned to return in 2020 but Covid got in the way - maybe next year....
Old 10-04-2022, 05:20 AM

Oh I'd been told no photos are allowed when at shows. This was near Boulder, Colorado.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Oh I'd been told no photos are allowed when at shows. This was near Boulder, Colorado.
That's not correct. There are designated areas that are clearly marked where you can't take photos of the quilts, but its a small section. Most of the display quilts can be photographed. I always ask if I want to photograph something that is in a vendor's booth.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:20 AM

I wrote a chatty message on this topic and the iPad ate it when I tried to post it. 🤷‍♀️ Let me shorten it to say I LOVE Quilt Festival! If you have any interest and if you can , then go before your health or situation makes it even more difficult. It is challenging for me because of big city traffic and parking, but I look forward to it all year. I finally made it to the AQS show in Paducah in 2019 , and a smaller one in Branson this year. I enjoy local Guild shows too, wherever I can get to them, but there is nothing like Quilt Festival.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:20 PM

Is there someplace to find a list of classes ahead of time. I hoping I can catch a few for a rest as well as learning new techniques.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
Is there someplace to find a list of classes ahead of time. I hoping I can catch a few for a rest as well as learning new techniques.
There is a complete class listing on quilts.com for the festival. This late most of the popular classes will be full. People do sell their places in classes at Festival. There's a board upstairs where openings are posted.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:55 AM

dsmith, if you do not get to take classes this year, do not be too sad. There are many opportunities at Festival. Open Studios will have presenters all day rotating through offering instruction on some idea or product. ( Usually it is something they are selling) There is usually a Meet the Teachers area where something similar happens as well. Even if you are not registered , (which is a required fee to take classes) you can pay about $12 at the door for 50 minute lectures on a particular topic. Many vendors will demo their products and or answer questions at their booths. Cashs_mom referred you to quilts.com for info on classes. There is a lot of useful info there about the show. You may want to spend some time looking at info there. Schedules for Open Studios and Meet the Teachers will be in the program ( you can buy there) and also at their locations on the floor. Lectures are listed with classes, I believe, and also on an events list. I hope you have multiple days because there is much to see and do. It will be fun!