Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which precut for you? >

Which precut for you?

Which precut for you?

Old 10-21-2022, 08:24 PM

i used a jelly roll once only because I loved the fabric and got a screaming deal on it. Mostly I prefer to cut from yardage.
Old 10-22-2022, 01:06 AM

I prefer fat quarters or yardage. If I buy a jelly roll, I have too many strips left over or I don't like. If I buy a layer cake, there's often not enough fabric for a 12" square. If I buy a charm pack, I usually find I need two or some yardage of a few of the fabrics. I do like mini-charms if I want to make half square triangles, but then I usually buy two.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:57 AM

Layer cakes and FQ bundles work best for me as I typically make large quilts. As TheMerkleFamily posted, I now purchase layer cakes if a pattern calls for them, otherwise, if it is a fabric collection I love, I will invest in the whole FQ bundle.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:37 AM

In the past I was caught up in the "sales" that were presented on precuts and I bought quite a few, jelly rolls and layer cakes. Then I discovered the actual cost of precuts vs. yardage and haven't bought one since. I had enough precuts to keep me stitching quilts for a couple of years. I still have a few left. I freely admit that getting cuts of fabric that all "play nicely" together is a bonus particularly when a quilt is needed on a short deadline. As I have pressed myself to shop from my stash and have learned to use color creatively, I work mostly with yardage and on occasion a FQ.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:23 AM

Oh, I love fat quarter bundles, half yard bundles, yard bundles and of course jelly rolls.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I love and use pre-cuts but my very favorite are fat quarter bundles. I hardly ever use or buy yardage anymore other than for backings, borders, etc.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:57 AM

I guess I am just stuck in the place of buying yardage and now I have a box of cut 2 1/2 strips ,a box of 2 1/2 inch cut squares, a box of 3" squares, and also some 5", 4" squares. Plan on selling them online as I am coming to the end of my quilting days. I'm sure the precuts are very handy.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:11 AM

I don't care for pre-cuts of any kind as I like to starch my fabrics before I cut into them and precuts seem to most times be cut funny so once wet, dried and then you go to press them, they're no longer straight but almost bias cut. I still have a few jelly rolls laying around and I've been trying to use my 5" pre-cuts in patterns calling for a smaller cut so I can cut them down to correct size but I'll never buy pre-cuts again.

I think the only pre-cuts that were cut correctly came from Jinny Beyer's site and she's closed now.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:11 AM

I mostly buy fat quarters and yardage. I make my own precuts in sizes I like to use from leftover scraps.

Rob
Old 10-22-2022, 06:33 AM

Fat quarters and jelly rolls. Our local shop doesn't carry the entire lines and I love the variety in fat quarters.