Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labor of Love >

Labor of Love

Labor of Love

Old 12-07-2022, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFliep View Post

spam reported
Old 12-08-2022, 01:58 AM

I think I would replace the holey squares and then take it to a long arm quilter. With a sturdy back and cotton batting, I think it would be a very nice quilt!

I don't like tied quilts. The ties can rip through the backs due to people sitting on the quilts. I don't know how old your grandson is, but my son has brought several quilts I tied years ago to me for repair. And that is a pain!
Old 12-08-2022, 04:47 AM

My husband had a quilt like this that his grandmother made for him when he was in high school...he asked me to repair it before we were married. It was all polyester double knit with two wool blankets inside instead of batting. None of the squares were the same size and because she had hand sewn everything and simply "fit it in" nothing matched up. It was horrible, but he loved it.
She had used yarn to tie it instead of quilting it. I bought yarn in the same shade and retied the whole thing. We haven't used it, but it remains in the linen closet for some night when the power goes out during a winter storm.
Tie it and be grateful we don't do this type of projects anymore. You can do it!
Old 12-08-2022, 06:33 AM

My sister made multiple poly quilts from squares they found in her MIL's stash after she passed. The backings are polycotton and they are tied in the center of each square. The quilts went to each of her MIL's great grandchildren as car blankets and many are still in use. They have been used as picnic blankets, emergency blankets for warmth, and thrown on muddy ground to protect clothing while changing a tire. They wear like iron and wash so well.

Applique over the hole-y squares (If you need some doubleknit, I'll bet the QB members could help with that!!), sew on a backing and use the 'birthing' method to finish the edges, tie in the center of each square or use the eyelet stitch on your machine. Top stitch or blanket stitch all around the edges and call it done.

And don't forget a label!
Old 12-08-2022, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

My first thought was I would tie that!
Old 12-08-2022, 10:20 AM

I just "saw" it with a nice wide rick rack on the edges. sewn down and then the binding on and flipped to the back. anyway, that is my "vision".
Old 12-08-2022, 10:34 AM

I think it's a pretty quilt, too! I camped with a friend who had a double-knit polyester quilt very similar to this one. It was super warm and I was very thankful she had it!

I agree with the others - tying this quilt would be a good way to finish it. I'm assuming you were planning on quilting it on your DSM, is that what you meant by "manual"? I don't think you'd get skipped stitches from polyester, unless you were using a needle that is too small and flexes because of the pushing/pulling the quilt through the harp. The much more likely issue is that the knit will stretch as you maneuver it, and you will get tucks and gathers.

I once saw a gorgeous quilt Kaffe Fassett had made (or commissioned), it was in one of his books. It was "tied" by sewing machine, using the decorative stitch that looks like a single snowflake. Very simple, but effective and attractive.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:44 AM

Definitely a tied quilt here.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:24 PM

One other thought... If you can use a walking foot to quilt it, it will help with skipped stitches. I like the idea of quilting it with a serpentine (or straight) stitch across diagonal corners. I wouldn't worry about using a ballpoint needle. I'd use a size 90 to 100 top-stitch needle.

If the fabric is rotten, I wonder if the ties will put bigger holes in it?
Old 12-08-2022, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid View Post
An Option not many folks think of is to use the "eyelet" of your domestic to tack the quilt as required.... no need to wrestle the entire quilt trying to do stitch in the ditch or free motion, just puddle as needed to tack in the centre of each square
I second this idea, but I would tack at the corners not the middle. I would also consider adding light stabilizer to the entire back of the quilt to try and keep it as intact as possible.

Good luck! And you are an angel to take this project on.