Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labor of Love >

Labor of Love

Labor of Love

Old 12-07-2022, 04:29 PM

Default Labor of Love

We have all been given or ask, at one time or other, items we would rather not fool with. I have one now. There is no question about doing it, so I am bringing my thoughts to you.
My grandson Dalton was given a quilt top, by his other grandmother, that his great-grandmother pieced. ( see why I can’t not do) Anyway it needs quilting. There are two problems I foresee. The first being some 14 squares need to be re-placed because have holes ( maybe moth eaten?). The top or flimsy is MOSTLY double knit. (I cringe) I can do that. Second problem is the actual quilting. I’m afraid if I quilt on my manuel quilter I will get skipped stitches as I’m sure I don’t have any ball point needles. What do you think? I could try to quilt with a ball point on my regular small harp machine but would be bulky because quilt is about 80 inches square or so. I didn’t want to tie it but if worse comes to worse…. Tell me your thoughts how you would go about it. Please don’t say you wouldn’t even try. As I said before, it is a labor of love with NO not an option.
I tried to upload my picture and even though it accepts it when I preview it says Error. Maybe later.

Attached Thumbnails 0645ccaf-fce6-4eda-bdf7-d5625bbda5ce.jpeg   8d7b5582-87b2-4daf-8495-40da3704613f.jpeg  
Old 12-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I was expecting to see something horrible, but it's actually a very pretty quilt. I think tying the quilt is a good option. With double knits it will be heavy, so maybe just use a flannel backing and no batting. The squares with holes could be appliqued over rather than taking them out. I think it's sweet that your grandson brought this to you.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

My grandm would have tied it. She was born around 1900.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I did a polyester double knit of simple squares ages ago. It had a flannel back and polyester batt and I just straight stitched down the seam lines on my old Singer. Your picture shows that your squares are on the diagonal. I would straight stitch between the squares starting at the middle corner going diagonal from corner to corner. If you can get that first long seam sewn, the rest will keep getting easier as you work your way out. If I remember correctly, my husband had to hold the bulk of the quilt as I sewed. It wasn’t easy but it is still holding together more then 45 years later. Replace any damaged squares because if it’s moth damage, the rest of that square will be weakened. As others have mentioned, you could tie it but that will be cumbersome to do also. Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2022, 06:28 PM

I think I would also tie it. I'd use flannel instead of batting and then back or possibly just use flannel as a back.

I can't imagine trying to machine quilt on double knit.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:53 PM

Here's another vote for tying. And while you're at it, could you place at least some of the ties in the holes so you didn't have to replace those squares?
Old 12-07-2022, 07:11 PM

Me too, tying might be great for it. I finished one siggy quilt sewing little circles in corners of each small "siggy block". the circle was an option on my machine. Have fun.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:46 PM

An Option not many folks think of is to use the "eyelet" of your domestic to tack the quilt as required.... no need to wrestle the entire quilt trying to do stitch in the ditch or free motion, just puddle as needed to tack in the centre of each square
Old 12-07-2022, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid View Post
An Option not many folks think of is to use the "eyelet" of your domestic to tack the quilt as required.... no need to wrestle the entire quilt trying to do stitch in the ditch or free motion, just puddle as needed to tack in the centre of each square
Interesting idea. Before reading your comment, I would have been in the "tie it" camp but this sounds intriguing...
Old 12-07-2022, 11:13 PM

Back in the late 70's I tied all my quilts and believe it or not - the ones I still have are still tied. If you really want to sew it - consider using a wavy stitch back and forth over the ditch. It's easier than trying to stay in the ditch. Is it possible to divide the top into 4 sections? It would be easier to machine quilt in sections, then sew them back together. I did watch a video years ago where a lady did quilting in sections - she left the top in tack, then used sections of batting, so it wasn't all rolled up when she started. I am not explaining it well, but it worked for her. I have not tried it myself.