Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Another scrappy log cabin >

Another scrappy log cabin

Another scrappy log cabin

Old 12-08-2022, 03:44 AM

It's another gorgeous quilt, Dunster! Wow! I need to get busy and start cutting, but I only hope I can do justice to all those little strips as you did!
Old 12-08-2022, 04:10 AM

Very nice!
you just gave me an excellent idea.

I did 1 log cabin quilt once and I like it. To say that I enjoyed the process would be a lie. I did it to practice my 1/4 inch seam and I found it very difficult. Do you paper piece yours?

My sister-in-law do not save anything that is less than 2 inch wide and she just brought me a very condensed bag full of her leftover fabric as she knows that I like to sew with them to make scrap quilts...
I now have a ton of 1 1/2 inch strips.... That's it. I will label the container "for log cabin project"

I will try to paperpiece it the next time!
Old 12-08-2022, 05:14 AM

Your quilt is amazing.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Wow, beautiful.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:50 AM

I have to admit I have never made a log cabin except in a kit for a table runner, and I usually don't save anything under 2.5", but this definitely has me rethinking my ways. Just gorgeous. I love all the possibilities that the block settings have to offer too.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by helou View Post
Very nice!
you just gave me an excellent idea.

I did 1 log cabin quilt once and I like it. To say that I enjoyed the process would be a lie. I did it to practice my 1/4 inch seam and I found it very difficult. Do you paper piece yours?

My sister-in-law do not save anything that is less than 2 inch wide and she just brought me a very condensed bag full of her leftover fabric as she knows that I like to sew with them to make scrap quilts...
I now have a ton of 1 1/2 inch strips.... That's it. I will label the container "for log cabin project"

I will try to paperpiece it the next time!
I don't paper piece my log cabin quilts. But I do cut all the strips into logs - 1.5", 2.5", 3.5", up to 9.5" - before I sew. I keep them separated by length and light/dark so they're ready to use. I find that the blocks are less likely to become wonky when the strips are pre-cut to length, but you're right that the 1/4 inch seam is important.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't paper piece my log cabin quilts. But I do cut all the strips into logs - 1.5", 2.5", 3.5", up to 9.5" - before I sew. I keep them separated by length and light/dark so they're ready to use. I find that the blocks are less likely to become wonky when the strips are pre-cut to length, but you're right that the 1/4 inch seam is important.
thank you for your answer Dunster.
Well!!! may be I will be brave enough to try without paper piecing this time. I have to say that I am getting better with that 1/4 inch...
I have the book from Judy Martin and there are so many beautiful ways to make log cabins quilts with 1 1/2 inch striips.

I love your quilts!
Old 12-08-2022, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

That's a beauty, Dunster! I love it.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:48 PM

I totally agree with SewBizGirl - your neutrals bring so much happiness to that scrappy party of Log Cabin blocks! You've taught me that I need to venture further out with my neutrals! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-08-2022, 06:38 PM

Nice!!! Planted a seed in my head Dunster!