Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 319: to paint or not to paint? >

Singer 319: to paint or not to paint?

Singer 319: to paint or not to paint?

Old 12-26-2022, 10:16 AM

Painting the 319 has inspired me to "re-do" my sewing area. Right now, it's just a mess of an alcove in the loft with 3 separate tables jammed in there:

I refer to it as "The Sewing Nook".

The hole is where the 319 lives. You can see the white rotary hook and the singer 331k105 in the background. I rebuild vintage audio stuff as well and that's the big box sitting on the 331k (Sansui 8080DB), inside a plastic bag with baking soda to absorb the smell of cigarettes.

I have an old dining room table that used to belong to my wife's parents. it's the table she grew up with and it's roughly 2" thick hardwood. She's fine if I cut it up, she has no attachment to it. There's more than enough of it to make the whole table top. I'm a decent woodworker as well as mechanic, so I'll make it all myself.

The plan (as it stands now) is to remove the dedicated cabinets and build a "C" shaped table to almost fit the area. I need it to stand off the walls roughly an inch so longer sewn objects can feed through the machine and be able to feed off the table without bunching.

the 319 will go in the position it currently resides, then the white and the Kenmore free-arm will go on the long back wall. he 331 will be in the position it currently is. Each machine (except the industrial) will get an electric power lift so I can drop them and have a nice large layout/cutting surface.

Lifters will be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN9vz9IgrrA&t=95s

Simple enough to make from a few chair lift motors and a couple switches. Those in the video go for somewhere around 1500 bucks a piece, so 4500 is just a bit too dear for three lifters so my lathe and mill will come in to play and I'll make my own lift rails to go with some surplus furniture lift motors. Only bummer is they're usually 24v motors, but that's just a matter of finding the right power supply.

The table will be a spring project as my garage space is currently full for winter with the Mustang, Corvette, Wife's mini cooper and my FJ1200. Not to mention all my tools and other machines. Can't even get to my table saw at the moment.....

Last edited by great white; 12-26-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:32 PM

So I’m looking at that little 0.5 amp BAK ac motor for the 319 and am thinking I can do better than that for this all metal machine. Theres been several times I’ve had to hand wheel it to start in things like straps and denim.

I’m considering dumping the AC motor and installing a servo motor like on my big walking foot Singer. That would mean far more “punching power” and more controllability at low speeds.

I switched to an electronic foot pedal a while ago and while better, it doesn’t add any power to the 0.5 amps.

It would mean I’d have to make a new handwheel for the v-belt, but that an easy afternoon project on the lathe with a chunk of aluminum. Making the new table will also make it easier as I can just adapt to the undermount motor. It also means I’ll have the 319 surface mounted on one leg of the “C” table and the 331K105 on the other leg. That means the White and the Kenmore will go on the long leg of the “C” and be retractable. That will leave me a nice long table surface for setup and such.

Starting to sound like a pretty cool sewing nook….
Old 12-26-2022, 05:44 PM

I've been reading your posts with real interest. I know that Singer provided a brochure for the 319 that shows how it could be treadled, so I would have thought that a servo motor installation wouldn't be the most difficult thing.

You may want to look at a FB group run by a fellow who installed a direct drive motor to his 319. I don't recall if the motor came from a 15-91 or a 201.

Given the history of the 319, that is that it was based on an industrial design, I suspect a servo motor wouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a 319.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:03 PM

Done deal:

A complete kit except for a foot pedal. 3/4 hp is a bit more than the 319 needs, but it will gove me oddles of slow speed punching power.

Rigging up a foot pedal is a simple enough task, foot pedal and a rod like a commercial machine. I’ll just build it into the cabinet itself.

I’ll still have to make a new hand wheel for the larger belt, but I can nearly do that with my eyes closed…
Old 12-26-2022, 06:15 PM

I would love to see the finished result, do post when you're done.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:46 AM

I'm not the first to travel down this path.

Here's someone that put a servo motor on a Pfaff 260:

He put the motor on the top of the table, but same idea. He made a hand wheel that would take both a standard motor and a servo motor. ended up staying with the servo motor.

Last edited by great white; 12-27-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:23 AM

The machining of the new hand wheel (when it happens) will be chronicled here:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...anyone.103643/

if anyone wants to follow.

It's a machinists forum, so there won't be a lot of talk or info about sewing machines, more about the processes of making the hand wheel itself.

Last edited by great white; 12-28-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
The machining of the new hand wheel (when it happens) will be chronicled here:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...anyone.103643/

if anyone wants to follow.

It's a machinists forum, so there won't be a lot of talk or info about sewing machines, more about the processes of making the hand wheel itself.

Well I for one will be following this. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
Going back together:

I'm one of those guys who looks at a machine and just knows how to assemble it. You could put a bucket of parts in front of me, not tell me what it was and I'd put it together. Machines just make sense to me, like languages do to some others.

I want to say thank you for sharing that. I've worked with children like that.......they can just see how it goes together. (I used to volunteer at school for the talented and gifted class.) The child I remember most was very gifted. I told the teacher to let her do something (can't remember what).."she can just "see" how it goes together". Unfortunately, the child didn't qualify for the T&G school, as she had severe dyslexia. These are gifted children. They need to be recognized and nurtured to their full potential.
bkay
Old 12-28-2022, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I want to say thank you for sharing that. I've worked with children like that.......they can just see how it goes together. (I used to volunteer at school for the talented and gifted class.) The child I remember most was very gifted. I told the teacher to let her do something (can't remember what).."she can just "see" how it goes together". Unfortunately, the child didn't qualify for the T&G school, as she had severe dyslexia. These are gifted children. They need to be recognized and nurtured to their full potential.
bkay
my wife is like that with math. I’m no slouch (retired engineer), but she can just look at a problem and know the answer and it drives me crazy that it just comes to her so naturally. Oddly enough, she is also mildly dyslexic.

I can come to the same answer, but need to follow the formulas I learned in university and have to lay out my work on paper for every step or I’m just not going to get there. Solving complex math problems in my head like she does just isn’t going to happen.It’s like she pulls the answers out of thin air sometimes.

She’s tried to explain how she does it to me and I can follow some of it, but the rest of how she does it might as well be black magic as far as I’m concerned.

We’re all the same basic human species, but I guess we’re all just “wired” a little bit differently. It doesn’t make anyone “more” or “less” than the next guy, just different.,.

Last edited by great white; 12-28-2022 at 08:06 PM.