Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's Finishing - or not? >

UFO's Finishing - or not?

UFO's Finishing - or not?

Old 12-31-2022, 06:15 AM

Default Sample blocks

My ufos are usually sample blocks from classes, trying out a technique but then not really wanting to make a whole quilt (or even a mini). OR, cutting too much. A couple years ago I pulled them all out, and made about 25 bowl cozies out of them. Gifts! I do also have unfinished projects laying around, but they are mostly just “not quilted.” Your post is making me realize that they will be the first items that go under the new stitcher I just bought yesterday. A wealth of projects just waiting to get out of my house!
Old 12-31-2022, 06:42 AM

I'm still trying to finish my goals for 2019, won't get them done for 2022 either but I did finish 2 completely from 2019, finished one just in the block stage and got it quilted so finished 3 this year. Put another one on the frame only to lose my mojo, then when I felt like getting back to it, I got the lousy Covid so back to no mojo but this past week, I'm at it again and may get some orphan blocks and scraps made into a quilt flimsy by the end of the day. Pulled out another UFO container to see if I could maybe get started putting the blocks into rows at least today. If not, there is always Monday. My goal for 2013 is to finish the goals for 2019. Let's see if I make it this time.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post

I guess it is to each our own in how we like to quilt. Nothing wrong with any way we do it, as long as we are doing it the way we like.
Quiltsfor - this is truth! Quilting is as much of a process (sometimes even moreso) as it is a product and there really is a great deal of joy and satisfaction in finding the process that works for you. :-)
Old 12-31-2022, 08:40 AM

I have only 3 in my "really UFO" pile, but I have an embarrassing number of "bought the fabric and need to do the quilt" projects - PIGs: projects in bags. If nothing else - I look at that list and it keeps me out of the fabric store. My stash is outgrowing it's assigned space.

I had the week off of work and just plowed thru a bunch for charity (Project Linus).

​​​​​Now I can go back to my love of piecing.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:53 AM

Somehow I can't manage to have zero UFOs, but I sure would like to have fewer! I hope to finish up more in 2023 just to get more space in my sewing area!
Old 12-31-2022, 11:01 AM

I am a finish what I start kind of quilter. I love "shiny objects", so I'm always buying patterns, and fabric. I keep changing up what I want to do next. Some of the patterns/fabric I've had for so long that the shine has left the object so to speak. I often raid a particular projects fabric for use in a current project. Once the holidays are over, and everything packed away, a two fabric bargello is currently at the top of the to do list.

I love that how we each chose to quilt is OK. Everyone goes at their own speed, and does their own thing. Do what makes you happy!
Old 12-31-2022, 12:20 PM

I do like to finish things. It may take a few years to get around to finishing. I currently have about 18 UFO’s. This year I really tried to check off as many as possible. I ran into one of those “6 years to finish” quilts. It’s slowed me down. Hoping to finish it this coming month. I put up wooden quilt clips on the living room wall. They have screws to tighten. I’m finding that looking at all my hard work done and hanging up on the wall greatly rewarding. Grandsons help me change quilts with the season.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:20 PM

I went thru my sewing room a while back and got rid of a lot of projects that I was never going to finish. I have one quilt to finish hand quilting, and I keep an EPP project going for traveling. It's easier to transport. But I have an embroidery machine and will make up tea towels, or bookmarks for my daughter's students, with a major quilting project going. It seems I always get about halfway done with a quilt and I don't like it anymore. So I do some embroidery or crochet or hand sewing to distract me. I do buy projects to make though. (I have so many Accuquilt dies.) But I try not to start something major unless I finish the other one.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:36 PM

Like the orphan blocks microwave cozy idea.

I’ve 2 UFO’s on my radar to finish. Both became UFO’s when we moved. There’s lots more UFO’s, but they’re not even a thought. This brain can only hold so much. See, forgot already, there’s a tote in the garage labeled UFO. It can stay untouched in 2023. I give myself permission.

Last edited by petthefabric; 12-31-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:27 AM

I'm glad to say I was able to finish a small 46 x 57 quilt for a friend's dog yesterday, not quilted but now a flimsey instead of orphan blocks and scraps. That makes 2 quilts oversized queen quilts quilted, plus 1 assembled and quilted and one made from orphan blocks and scraps made into a flimsy by yesterday afternoon. Now to decide how to quilt this last one and maybe get back to the Irish Chain still attached to the frame. Still have lots of quilts to be quilted plus quilt projects made up to block stage waiting to be assembled though.