Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Woud we still? >

Woud we still?

Woud we still?

Old 01-03-2023, 04:15 AM

Default Woud we still?

Would we still be quilters if we had to revert back to using cereal boxes to make templates from, siccors instead of rotary cutters, #2 pencils instead of our special markers, hand quilting everything? Or would we have found another interest that wasn't as hard to do?
Old 01-03-2023, 05:02 AM

Yes lindaschipper, that's how I started, so yes I, and I think many, would do so to enjoy quilting.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:24 AM

Yes, I started that way too. I took a long break to focus on my career and advancement within my field. I never stopped sewing but I slowed down big time. When I inherited my sister-in-law's stash, I saw how I could do career and quilting too!. The world changed during my time away. Love the new tools and methods but for me it is the arranging of fabric and colors, stitching them together and gazing at the results. I would still quilt even if I did not have rotary blades, cutting mats and templates.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I probably would make quilts for the new babies. I was an avid crocheter before quilting so afghans would be my quilts.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:44 AM

I'd be a lot slower, but I'd still be quilting! It's how I started.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:54 AM

Ha. i still have cardboard circles I use. So yes, we certainly would continue making all sorts of things. Using our minds and hands is cathartic and necessary in daily life.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I started that way too. I think I would still be at it but I wouldn't be nearly as prolific I imagine. Jinny Beyer was a major influence on me when I began my quilting journey and she still uses a lot of the old methods.
I still love to hand quilt but rarely do it. I have a top I've been working on for a long time (years) and it's almost done.
Good topic!

BTW- I just learned how to crochet! I never liked it but I saw granny squares that Erica Arndt did and fell in love with them so she taught me. I've been making them with Lori Holt gorgeous colors and it's been a lot of fun. I've knitted since high school but never crocheted until now.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 01-03-2023 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:35 AM

I don't know. I started out embroidering, then cross stitching, dabbled in tapestry, even a bit or Hardinger, then macrame, then crocheting, then knitting, then cardmaking. Today, I mainly quilt and knit.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

If those things had not been invented? Sure I would still use the old methods. However I would not be able to give up the time saving and accuracy of the new tools now.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:28 AM

I would still be a quilter no matter what method I had to use. I started out with scissors (no rotary cutter), etc. & would gladly go back to it if needed.