Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 319: to paint or not to paint? >

Singer 319: to paint or not to paint?

Singer 319: to paint or not to paint?

Old 12-29-2022, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
my wife is like that with math. I’m no slouch (retired engineer), but she can just look at a problem and know the answer and it drives me crazy that it just comes to her so naturally. Oddly enough, she is also mildly dyslexic.

I can come to the same answer, but need to follow the formulas I learned in university and have to lay out my work on paper for every step or I’m just not going to get there. Solving complex math problems in my head like she does just isn’t going to happen.It’s like she pulls the answers out of thin air sometimes.

She’s tried to explain how she does it to me and I can follow some of it, but the rest of how she does it might as well be black magic as far as I’m concerned.

We’re all the same basic human species, but I guess we’re all just “wired” a little bit differently. It doesn’t make anyone “more” or “less” than the next guy, just different.,.
This is so interesting. I know a composer who talks about music as something he "speaks". For him music is a language that he just "gets". He composes orchestral scores and writes out all the parts and they all fit together. I also know a woman who can make complicated, high fashion dresses right on the person for whom she sews. She takes measurements, looks at pictures of the dress she's going to make, cuts out the fabric and she assembles and sews the dress without a pattern. She says that she "sees" all the pieces and how they fit together. Her stuff is stunning.

Me? I can't figure out how to disassemble the rock shaft in my 319.

People are infinitely interesting.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:45 AM

First few coats of paint on the main body:

Many more coats to be applied before its done.

I did get one run on the headstock, but I’ll give it a day or two to harden up and sand it down flat. Then a few more coats.

it will get set aside for a few weeks to a month to allow it to harden all the way through. I find this particular paint is very slow to completely harden, even if the can says “totally dry in 24hrs”.

Theres also around a dozen small bits and pieces that need to be painted as well.

This will probably take a month or two before I can put it back together.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:39 PM

getting there:

Old 01-29-2023, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
getting there:

Looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it all put back together.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:05 PM

Picking away at it:

Top components are installed, moving on to the underside drivetrain next.

Just picking at it every now and then as I feel like it. No need to get it done quickly as I’ve got more running machines than I can possibly ever use…
Old 02-22-2023, 04:29 PM

Stunning color, great job!
Old 02-22-2023, 08:44 PM

Love the green! Wasn't crazy about the blue one.