Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Designer Quilt Fabric >

Designer Quilt Fabric

Designer Quilt Fabric

Old 01-30-2023, 05:09 PM

I have so much in my stash, and it was good quality when I bought it but now, I guess it is outdated. Anyway, I paid $6-$8 dollars a yard and some I got on sale. I never did care much about who the designer was just looked at it and bought when I liked it. One shop up here never kept the collections together. she would arrange things by color, or maybe motif like dots, children's ect. However, my fabric stash has turned out to be a good investment with much better quality and growth then my retirement funds! Oh, it doesn't bother me to stitch with 10-15 year old fabric. Cute is cute!
Old 01-30-2023, 07:14 PM

Lately, I’ve seen prices at $16-$18/yd but didn’t think about designers. Reading this thread, I did some research. The prices on several sites were ~$12/yd and not much different for designers. Now is prices for food would roll back.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:17 PM

I refuse to spend a lot on fabric, and cringe at the $10.00 a yard mark. I'm fortunate in that I have a large stash, and also spend a lot of time at the huge fabric outlet store nearby. I do think you pay extra for the designer name. Last summer, on a trip to see my friend in Oregon, I spent $44.50 for a layer cake! Haven't even opened it yet!
Old 01-31-2023, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I appreciate Kaffe Fassett's artistry but I have a lot of trouble using his fabrics. I have some but never know what to do with them. He is certainly interesting and talented though.Maybe someday something will click with me!
Old 01-31-2023, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I appreciate Kaffe Fassett's artistry but I have a lot of trouble using his fabrics. I have some but never know what to do with them. He is certainly interesting and talented though.Maybe someday something will click with me!
You might take a look at the blog Exuberant Color. She uses Kaffe Fassett and other similar designers almost exclusively. The blocks she uses are often very simple but she really knows how to exploit the gorgeous colors and patterns of the fabrics. Love her quilts!