Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice on Pattern >

Need Advice on Pattern

Need Advice on Pattern

Old 02-02-2023, 10:04 AM

Default Need Advice on Pattern

I guess a couple years ago I purchased the Jane Austen Layer Cake and have not been able to figure out a pattern. I didn't want to do the traditional Jane Austen pattern you see online using this fabric, I want to do something different but haven't found anything yet.

I'm hoping some of you might point me in a new direction. I've attached the color/pattern swatch.

Please ignore earlier post, I attached wrong fabric swatch and I can't figure out how to delete it or amend it. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	642569  
Old 02-02-2023, 10:12 AM

Are you planning on using other fabrics with your layer cake? I don't know what I would do. It looks like a hard collection to figure out a pattern. I had a bunch of larger print fat quarters I had bought 12 of. I ended up make a tumbler quilt out of them using a repeating pattern of warm colors and cool colors, It ended up having sort of a modern quilt vib. Maybe doing a tumbler quilt using tone on tone blocks or solids mixed in?
Old 02-02-2023, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Are you planning on using other fabrics with your layer cake? I don't know what I would do. It looks like a hard collection to figure out a pattern. I had a bunch of larger print fat quarters I had bought 12 of. I ended up make a tumbler quilt out of them using a repeating pattern of warm colors and cool colors, It ended up having sort of a modern quilt vib. Maybe doing a tumbler quilt using tone on tone blocks or solids mixed in?
I will add another fabric once I figure out a pattern.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:03 AM

Well not knowing your skill level or preferences it's a little difficult to recommend something to you... Do you like applique? Are you an experienced paper-piecer? Do you want an art quilt to hang on the wall, or would you rather make a bed quilt, and if so, what size?
Old 02-02-2023, 11:03 AM

I would do falling Charms or Double Slice if you don’t mind a smaller finish or you could add a border to the Double Slice. Beautiful fabrics, I bought the same line in a FQ Bundle.

https://youtu.be/4KkpbFKBaKA - Falling Charms
https://youtu.be/jxC-0T5lXw4- Double Slice
Old 02-02-2023, 11:24 AM

Oh that is such pretty fabric. I just saw a tutorial by Misty Doan called confetti hearts. I would use a cocoa brown or the deeper blue that is in some of the pieces for background. Can’t wait to see what you decide to create
Old 02-02-2023, 02:11 PM
Gay

Love that beautiful fabric, also the Confetti Hearts quilt. In my mind I see hexagons, or diamonds with small white sashing.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:28 PM

You might take a look at Missouri Star Quilt Co. website. Jennie Doan seems to have good patterns using layer cakes and other precuts. Jennie's You tube channel would be good for ideas, too. Your fabric is so pretty, I can see why you would for a great pattern to show it off.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:59 PM

A Family tree. Your family -- starting with you and your husband (or parents if no hubby), the prints are the trees flowers and of course the leaves would be green for spring and summer. Each name of your family would be on one leaf with dates of birth, marriage, death-if needed. You can go backwards as far as you wish and have the ancestors on one side and the rest of the family on the other or mix the two eras all around the tree canopy.
You could use palm branches or maple leaves or anything that tickles you pink. It would be your quilt and your own design. There are many tree trunks to find at crayola .com as well as many types of leaves. If you can't think of which one to use go to Google for tree trunks and view the pictures it puts up until the one raises it's limb and shouts "Me please". You will know the right one when you see it. Hope this gives you all thoughts.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....919&ipo=images

Here's a link to just one tree--with some editing it would be a wonderful family tree. Could applique or cut the paper into blocks and make your own pattern. I saved this tree for future possible projects

Last edited by MaryKa; 02-02-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:55 PM

A chandelier quilt would be pretty

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/page...quilt-tutorial