Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you need to accurately cut  Foundation Piecing >

Do you need to accurately cut Foundation Piecing

Do you need to accurately cut Foundation Piecing

Old 02-20-2023, 08:52 AM

If you don't have an Add A Quarter ruler, I would suggest getting one. I don't do a lot of paper piecing because my brain just can't seem to do it easily but I do have one of these rulers & it really helps when trimming the seams to 1/4".

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9826896...hoC2fcQAvD_BwE

I look forward to seeing what you make. I love the look of the perfect points, etc. in paper pieced work.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:33 AM

I did one Judy Neimeyer class, and I believe we even had "cutting templates" yes, it was helpful because there was so many angles in that quilt and it really helped, but other paper piecing projects I have done, I just had to get a piece that was easier to judge that it would be big enough to cover. So, if there are a lot of skinny, angled pieces, if there are cutting templates use them. I did an improve quilt project once with angles that I was supposed to paper piece and I was always coming up short because of the angles.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:17 PM

I like to use the cutting templates as a guide and just go bigger and trim after. It is a lot less stressful for me. And I second the Add A Quarter ruler. Makes trimming a breeze and the way it locks in means zero slipping which is easier physically and these days that means a lot. Go with whatever method makes you happier.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Totally against the "rules" here (not that there are any rules!)

Here's what I do ... "hack and whack"!
I don't pre-cut and instead use the whole piece of fabric, stitch it on, and then trim off, leaving excess. Doesn't work so good if you have a large yardage. So in those cases, I'll look at about what size of piece I need and cut a strip, (4" strip WOW or WHY) and then go back to hack and whack!

I've done lots of PPing and have found that it is no more wasteful than pre-cutting a whole bunch of pieces. And ooh so much easier than pre-cut pieces getting stitched on slightly off, so that they are not big enough, so that you have to start again.

Good Luck ... and have fun with PPing, for all those awesome perfect pointy pieced blocks.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I agree about the Add a Quarter ruler. The new ones have a beveled edge making it easier to fold, don't need the extra folding edge tool. I use to use get the pretty gift cards and not put any money on them for my folding tool. ( Did you know some of the unused ones are considered collector items now?) Like QuiltE I whack and hack! I start with a stack of fabric no bigger then a fat quarter size. Many times I cover the sections surrounding the part I need to cover. It's faster to cut it off then measure the oversize needed. I use the Carol Doak method but don't cut to fit. If you can find her DVD it is wonderful to learn how to pp.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

OneByOne ... whew! Good to know that I am not the only one who bucks the trend!!
Old 02-23-2023, 10:01 AM

I stopped using my add a quarter ruler, and now just sew and trim with scissors - saves me a lot of time. If I precut, I figure what I need and cut a bit larger, I don't cut rectangles as that is way too much waste for me. I also set up my cordless iron right next to my sewing machine, so I can press as needed.

My favorite are the J de Jonge patterns, love all the movement going on. I have the pattern for Infinity, but who knows when I'll get started on it. Need to get a few more UFO's done before starting a major project like that.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:38 AM

I do a lot of paper piecing and always cut larger than needed. I got rid of my Add-a-1/4 ruler, hated it. To trim the 1/4 inch seam, I fold the paper on the sewed line, line up the 1/4 inch line on my quilting ruler with the fold and rotary cut off the excess fabric. Works well for me and one less ruler in my sewing room. Hope this makes sense.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

The Add a Quarter butts up against the paper. No chance of miss cuts which I have done many times using a regular ruler.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:20 PM

Default Using fabric strips

I like to figure out what width of fabric will work well, then work with fabric strips.