Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall... >

Design wall...

Design wall...

Old 03-26-2023, 10:35 AM

Default Design wall...

I finally moved my huge metal shelving unit away from the wall so i can use the wall for design. well looking online is fun. Two places I looked at later on when i looked again, had put the price up!! Grrrr. Now I must find a place that does not do that.
I was looking for Fon's and Porters flannel design wall with two inch grid lines. Not any more. Too expensive.
so flannel. Missouri star seems to have some for that. Anyone purchased anything for a design wall lately? I need to get one so i can continue to clean up my sewing room and finish this quilt.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:42 AM

I just use batting, has worked well for me.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:51 AM

Yes, i was thinking flannel... I have some on the skinny closet doors of polyester and they don't work too well. But i do pin and don't mind having to do that. I just want something large.
JoAnn's wanted too much to ship my order and Amazon kept raising the price each day i went back to look again.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:12 AM

Mine is made from some of that insulation foam board that you can buy at Home Depot/Lowes. I think we bought a 4' x 8' board & cut it to 4' x about 6 1/2' to fit my space. I used flannel for the front. I had to piece my flannel to get a piece large enough to wrap around the board edges. It works really well. That being said, I sometimes wonder if the foam board is dulling my pins that I stick into it. They seem to be getting dull over the years.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:49 AM

I think “dull over years” might be normal wear and tear. Read somewhere that back-when there were needle and pin retirement services. Think it was Japan.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:51 AM

It took me 10 minutes to find mine, as I never use it anymore. May have used it three or four times as I don't have a solid wall and tried to hang it over my open pocket doors..... blocks kept falling off. If you are interested PM me and let me know.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:05 PM

I just pm'd you. Sorry it took me awhile to look in here again. Had to fix lunch!
oh the time on here isn't the same as my time. OK, so it's not as late as I thought it was. good!

Last edited by Quiltwoman44; 03-26-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:19 PM

I’ve had a few design walls and to be honest Warm & Natural batting is what has worked best for me. My blocks kept falling off the flannel wall I had, especially if they were bigger blocks. Why don’t you pin pieces of several different design wall products you’re thinking of using? Then you can stick some blocks on them and see how well they stay, and make a choice from that.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:35 PM

I have flannel. Works fine.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:37 PM

thanks all. I am getting one. I figured flannel best. Time will tell. Maybe this will even help me get more done. Ya think? I certainly hope so.