Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Long Armers about Batting/Backing >

Question for Long Armers about Batting/Backing

Question for Long Armers about Batting/Backing

Old 04-13-2023, 10:39 AM

Default Question for Long Armers about Batting/Backing

I have a request for a quilt (top is no problem) but the person wants to have 2 layers of flannel and 1 thin layer of batting, because he wants it to be "really heavy". I have never been asked anything like this, so is it even possible, or would it cause issues during quilting? I want to finish it the way he asks, but.... Would it be better to do just one layer of flannel with the batting, or 2 layers of flannel without the batting?
Old 04-13-2023, 11:51 AM

I'm not a long armer but....

I would think that two layers of flannel would be hard to quilt as flannel stretches. I would think that you would get a lot of wrinkles/foldovers when quilting. Why not suggest that you use a heavier batting and put on a flannel back.

Or if he means more of it being really warm and just not weighted, suggest a wool batting with a flannel back.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:11 PM

I would have no issues at all quilting that on my Innova longarm. I guess it would depend on your equipment and ability. Maybe try quilting a sample of what he's asking and see how it goes.

I once made a quilt that was 3 layers of flannel - top, flannel for batting, and backing. No regular batting at all. It was fairly heavy.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:59 PM

You should be able to quilt that just fine. But be aware that flannel shrinks A LOT! You'd want to pre-shrink the flannel.

When I want a heavier quilt, I just do two layer of Winline 80/20. It quilts up beautifully.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:47 PM

I have made several flannel quilts. Usually a pieced flannel top, flannel backing, and 80/20 batting. Good idea to prewash the flannel unless you really want the crinkle look. Flannel usually will shrink quite a bit. I use good quality flannel which doesn't usually shrink as much but I once did a so-called bargain type flannel on a scrap flannel quilt I did. I wish I hadn't, although I had prewashed it, it shrank again when I washed the completed quilt, and it pills. No problems with quilting them on my APQS Lucey.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:49 PM

I use Warm and Plush batting and a flannel backing for a heavier quilt.