Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can’t spend time in quilting room: What to do? >

Can’t spend time in quilting room: What to do?

Can’t spend time in quilting room: What to do?

Old 04-06-2023, 10:31 AM

Currently my basement sewing room has 5" of water in it! My fabrics and machines are fine, but l'll not be sewing there for a while! I've set up my travel machine ( when l go to quilting sew sessions) and fold up cutting pressing board with tiny iron set up at dining table. I have one project l already had upstairs from my last QOV meeting. So that's what l'll be doing until water receeds, and then there won't be any sewing until we've cleared up the soggy mess ,removed baseboards, cut lower drywall, remove flooring and bring in industrial fans & dehumidifiers. Sigh.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:30 PM

Suz, I am a breeding bitch holder for our area Guide Dog organization....so once a year on average I too am confined to the ground floor...well the kitchen really...of my house, with my quilting studio upstairs and out of reach for weeks! Not only does the mom dog need support as she gets used to all those tiny strangers, the tiny strangers often get lost and need a helping hand. This time we had 10 boys..oy!!

Anyway, I do set up a station next to the puppy box, and this time I found a fantastic project perfect for the occasion! I cut all the "kits" required to make a colourwash scrap quilt a la the method of Terry Rowland (video link below).

It is the single best scrapbuster approach I have ever seen...easy, fun, and something you can drop in and out of. I hauled a big bin of my scraps to the kitchen and had a blast making the block kits.

Here is the link to the first of her three colourwash scrap quilt videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UQE5SlOLqg
Old 04-06-2023, 03:02 PM

Another thanks to everyone for your thoughtful replies! Stitch678: I can’t even imagine what you are going through with a flooded basement. My thoughts go out to you. WesternWilson: I saw your post yesterday about the scrap buster pattern you found and it sounds great. when I get back to sewing, I will be trying it out.

I probably should have realized when eye surgery was scheduled for my dog that my stairs would be an issue. My only shower is upstairs, so I had to lock my poor baby up for 20 minutes or so and she cried the whole time. I should probably make use of the time after I put her bed to get some things moved down to the first floor.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:29 PM

Organize patterns, books, folders, digital photos, take a couple of zoom or online classes,
Old 04-06-2023, 03:31 PM

I just watched those Terry Rowland videos and thought it would be way fun to gather up my scraps, get out my small Bernina and set up to make one of those color wash quilts. It looks like it would be fun and something I can do while watching Netflix too! My 20-pound dog doesn't do stairs and gets separation anxiety when I go to the basement or the second floor. What a goof ball. He is just fine if I leave the house entirely.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Suz, when our Barney got really old I remember him following me no matter where I went. It was so hard for him but he insisted on getting up so I tried to stay in one room as long as I could. He was such a sweet boy. I still miss him and it's been a long time.

I was in school and spent a lot of time studying and being on the computer so that was a good thing. Doggies are so loyal, aren't they.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:57 AM

I have movable gates that I use to block my dogs from what ever area I want. I have one now that blocks the upstairs because I have a quilt I'm working on, on the floor. You might put the dog's bed at the bottom of the stairs, but if she starts barking for you, don't use this technique. Barking or other forms of aggravation will put too much strain on the eye.

I often move one of my sewing machines downstairs as well. It has the advantage of giving me extra exercise as I need to go up and down the stairs to get more fabric, scissors, etc.

Do you know how long it will take for the eye to heal?
Old 04-07-2023, 10:59 AM

stitch678, I feel for you! We've occasionally had water in our basement, but nothing extreme.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:21 PM

Once more, thank you all for your kind thoughts and suggestions. I have been told it will be a month before the Vet will be comfortable that it has healed. We are both taking it day by day. My little pooch gives so much back to me, which makes any short term limitations more tolerable. I did a little work on my current project last night after I put her to bed and I may continue with that. Even 10 minutes of sewing feels very therapeutic for me.