Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The "need"  to square up or block a unit to make it the correct/expected size >

The "need" to square up or block a unit to make it the correct/expected size

The "need" to square up or block a unit to make it the correct/expected size

Old 04-26-2023, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Default The "need" to square up or block a unit to make it the correct/expected size

If the fabrics have been washed before cutting, the cutting is accurate, and the seam allowances are the right size/consistent, in my opinion, there should be little need for squaring up or blocking a unit. It should come in pretty close to the expected size.

I am definitely opposed to "stretching" a block to make it bigger. It will just revert back to whatever size it was the next time it is washed.

If I am expecting to get a 12-1/2 inch unfinished block and it is more than 1/4 inch off, I will remake it. My personal "fudge factor" is closer to 1/8 inch.

What is your "fudge/slop factor" tolerance?

There are some blocks - that can "tolerate" a lot of trimming to make them the same size. Others are more finicky.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:49 AM

It frustrates me immensely and hacks away at my self-confidence when I think I have been careful and accurate all along the way and end up with a block that's not just right. However, I have sewed together blocks with uneven edges, blocks that don't quite match and blocks of slightly different sizes. I have finished quilts that don't fold up exactly square. All those quilts are used and loved so I guess my need for perfection can be safely stepped on at times. I would love to be perfect. I would love to fuss about thread width. I recognize when things are "off" but can't seem to find the finesse. Squaring up is my quilt-saver.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I am not perfect nor do I aim to be. I quilt for my own personal pleasure and only make quilts for a few beloved family members on my time schedule. the rest I make just to make them and they will get donated one day. So, if a quilt is a little "off", and it isn't major, I just go with it. I made a quilt and had it over a bannister and a visiting friend said she loved it. I gave it to her. She is thrilled with it. She isn't looking to see if the seams line up, etc. I do try to make things as good as I can. Most of mine are pretty good. Perfect? No. Do I rip apart? Very rarely only if will affect the final outcome on a big scale.

Something else I realized - not many people but other quilters and quilt judges look at the actual quilting. I love to FMQ. It is my favorite part among all the other parts I like too. I have been perfecting feathers, swirls, etc. They are very time consuming. I had a quilt I wanted to finish and I can do a wonderful meander. So did that. The recipient raved about the fabric choices - never noticed the quilting. So I'm guessing unless it is for some other quilter (not from me) or to be entered into a show (not doing that) I will keep my fancier FMQ for when I am bored and for something that I don't mind keeping around for a long time to finish. I even think wavy lines are fine for most quilts. I have done that a lot of times. I don't like Stitch in the ditch. To do or to look at. That is my preference. Not saying anyone else has to agree or do what I do.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:26 PM

The most important words in your first paragraph are ‘should’ and ‘pretty close’!!

I find that the more intricate pieces within a block, the more likely the final product is neither a perfect square nor the right size. Small errors in cutting and sewing, stretching along a bias edge, and other variables are magnified the more seams are in there.

But I am NOT a perfectionist. I do the best I can, and try to learn from each mistake, and make a new mistake next time. My quilts are warm, cozy, and full of love, but will never win awards. I’m good with that.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:28 AM

I rarely square up anything. I do some fudging. Over time, my points have improved, my quilts look pretty square, and they are given away and all seem to be actually used. That is satisfying to me. I'd rather see one of my slightly wobbly quilts being used then seeing my perfect quilt laying in a closet somewhere deemed too good to use. One of my reasons for taking up quilting is to have fun. If I am sweating over every point and seam, it is not fun anymore. Now if you want to do only show winning quilts, that is more like an actual job and go for it!
Actually, I think I learned a lot about quilting from my Yoga teacher years ago. She always said " Don't make yourself do the pose, LET yourself do it. Big difference. Relax, over time, your skills will improve, just let them do so! And I hope you saved one of your earlier quilts. Every few years, really look at it. I smile every time I look at those wobbly seams and mixture of straight line and tying for quilting. I really did use that quilt for a long time until the fabric finally shredded and faded.

Want to add, the one thing I do, is make a couple of test blocks at the beginning and I do measure those, if they are off, I adjust my "quarter inch seam" and once a I get a couple the right size, I just stitch away. I usually do not go on to formally square them up. If I have been away from the quilt for a while and definitely if I have switched machines, I will remeasure a few once I start up again.

Last edited by sewingpup; 04-27-2023 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:47 AM

I make my blocks slightly over-sized and then after all my blocks are made, I will square them all up.

f the block has a lot of componets, ie. hst, squares, or flying geese, etc. I will square them up as I go, then square up the final block when the block is all put together. Then when I put the blocks all together, my blocks are easy to match up the seams/edges. I don't square up the final full top, as I QAYG and have no need to. Once my blocks are together and the rows are together, my top already square.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:55 AM

If the blocks are consistently either a little too small or large, I leave it. If they are different each time, I correct it. Points being cut off don't bother me as long as they are all cut off.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:11 AM

If I do everything just right, prewash, cut accurately, nice 1/4" seams, etc, I will still be off. No matter what I can't cut 4 5" squares and come up with a nice pretty 9" square. And it's hard to square up when it's less than 9" (which it often is, even if I over cut). It's one of my biggest frustrations. Some of my points are picture perfect, while others are a big fail. Flying geese are my big downfall. If the seams are too far off I'll redo but I have no hard and fast rules such as 1/8" gets a redo. In the end when it's washed and wrinkly the overall effect really isn't that bad and it usually looks pretty darn good. And unless I'm entering a contest no one should be looking that closely.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:27 AM

Also, when I square up my blocks, when squaring up separate pieces like flying geese or hst, I will use the bloc loc ruler for it and when squaring up the finished block, I use a square ruler the same size I need for the finished block. I also use the rotary cutting mats. I have a 14", a 17" and a 24" rotary mat. For the finished square rulers I have the 1" all the way up to 20.5 inches, with all the 1/2 sizes in between. I bought them as I needed them so the cost was a little at a time.

I just lay the square, with the center mark on the square to the center of my block and cut the right side and top, then rotate the rotary mat without moving the ruler or block and cut the other two sides. As long as I am careful of match the center of the square with the center of the block, my blocks all come out in the end the exact same size.

Added to note: I do QAYG and I DO NOT square up my finished block until it is quilted. So when I am squaring it up, I have three layers. The top, batting, and backing.

When I prepare my blocks for quilting, I cut the backing 2" larger than needed, the batting 1" larger than needed and then place the top. So when I quilt it, if the batting or backing pull in slightly because of the amount of quilting, it will still be larger than the top. Then when I do the final squaring up of the block, the entire sandwich is squared up at the same time. Then I just sash the blocks together, then the rows together and put on the binding.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

From my experience it is almost impossible to square up blocks with points on the edge. One side will not have 1/4" seam from the point. I measure each unit before sewing a block. If it is not square then so be it. I found by starching the fabric very stiff before cutting makes a big difference in my accuracy.