Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the Ditch? >

Stitch in the Ditch?

Stitch in the Ditch?

Old 05-14-2023, 08:43 AM

Default Stitch in the Ditch?

Hi ladies!

I'm attempting stitching in the ditch. Yeah, attempting. What stitch length do you use when you do it?
Old 05-14-2023, 09:07 AM

If using a domestic machine to stitch in the ditch through all layers, I like to lengthen my stitches, as I find that it helps the quilt move through smoother. My default machine setting is 2.5. I will increase it to 3.0 or 3.5.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:12 AM

Thanks! I read that and then they also suggested using 1.5. I was thinking 3 as then the ditch would go faster. I don't know.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:13 AM

A walking foot helps a ton! Some walking feet have a stitch-in-the-ditch foot with a guide, that is very helpful.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:20 AM

I saw that stitch ditch foot attachment I don't have that. I'm not sure they make it for my machine. I have 2 table toppers and a runner to do. My neck is so tight already.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:28 AM

Stitch in the ditch is my most often used quilting method. I like the look of the pattern reflected on the back.

I try to remember to lengthen my stitch length to at least 2.8 but don't always. A longer stitch does move better through the machine. Also a walking foot makes a huge difference. Finally, if you match your top thread carefully or use a good neutral, even if you don't manage to stay right in the ditch, the quilting pretty much disappears anyway. Remember to start in the centre and vary the direction of your sewing.

I use the auto-lock function on my sewing machine every time I start and stop a row. What about others? Do you pull threads to the back and tie? Back stitch? I always worry about quilting lines pulling out.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
Stitch in the ditch is my most often used quilting method. I like the look of the pattern reflected on the back.

I try to remember to lengthen my stitch length to at least 2.8 but don't always. A longer stitch does move better through the machine. Also a walking foot makes a huge difference. Finally, if you match your top thread carefully or use a good neutral, even if you don't manage to stay right in the ditch, the quilting pretty much disappears anyway. Remember to start in the centre and vary the direction of your sewing.

I use the auto-lock function on my sewing machine every time I start and stop a row. What about others? Do you pull threads to the back and tie? Back stitch? I always worry about quilting lines pulling out.

I wondered about back stitching too. It looks icky. So I too was going to use my auto-lock function. I just don't know if it always auto-locks!
Old 05-14-2023, 10:30 AM

Trying to answer a lot of questions here. I vary the length of my stitch in the ditch depending on what I am doing it on. The thickness of the batting makes a difference. On a thick bat, I will lengthen, on a thin batting, I may shorten it. My default for me is probably about 2.0. Also, how long are the quilting lines? A shorter stitch length will help make those turns more precise as a long stitch may overshoot the corner. For tying off, I usually just shorten by stitch length to about 0.5 or less. Then I make about 5 of those very short stitches. I do this just before I get to the end point. This way, I do not have to back track, nor do I have a Knot. I do have a Bernina, so it is easy to turn my stitch length knob to get those tiny stitches. (This is also how long armers tie off there threads too unless they are doing a show quilt, then they will bury the ends.) There is even a stitch in my machine that will do this for me, so I don't have to change it all the time. It is triggered to shorten the stitch to make the tie off by the foot peddle I believe. These cool functions are one of the reasons Bernina people love their machines. However, it does take some practice to learn all the cool things they do. Oh, another tip I learned if you press your seams to the side, place your needle on the side of the seam away from pressed to side, then think you are driving a car with your tire just moving along the low side of the curb. Worked for me!

Last edited by sewingpup; 05-14-2023 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

My stitch in the ditch quilting looks fine.

I only stitch in one direction - if one gets drag lines, then they are all in the same direction.

Alternating the sewing direction every other line gives one a zig-zag effect for the drag lines.

Old 05-14-2023, 02:07 PM

Stitch in the ditch is something that drove me practically round the bend. I could not keep my stitching 'in the ditch' and found my eyes drawn to the flaws. I now 'shadow stitch'. I keep the stitching consistently close to the ditch (about 1/16 to 1/8 inch away) but not in it. It really is much easier and my sanity remains intact.