Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester double knit >

Polyester double knit

Polyester double knit

Old 05-16-2023, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I don't wear it simply because of sensitive skin and how warm it is. For a quilt, no rules, lol! Use what you want and how you want.

The ones I've seen (mainly from the 70's) seem to all be tied. Is that how you will finish yours as well?

It must feel good to finish up a box, have a quilt AND a couple to give away!
Yes, I tie them. Also put a few diagonal rows of machine stitching to hold them for eternity.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
Kuddos for using what you have and making three quilts.
Maybe it comes from being raised by parents who grew up in the Depression ! They taught me there’s a use for everything or give it to someone who can use it.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:55 AM

"Everybody hates it"?? I think it went out of vogue because it did last forever and was so easy to care for. There became no market for the other fabrics! I still have a box of it in colors of the era. I used up some of the yardage for seat covers for the folding chairs at the senior center. Those chairs were well used but still very sturdy so this covered a multitude of scratches and evidence of use. The seat covers are easy to launder and put back into service. I suppose most quilts using them are tied because it is stretchy fabric and thick enough that traditional quilting would be a problem.
As for polyester. I like it. I don't understand why it has taken such a beating from quilters. It is strong and I like the sheen it has. I especially like the black as it is color fast and will not fade with age. Cotton is a natural fiber that with time is going to deteriorate; polyester isn't as apt to do that. Interesting that we usually use thread that has poly so it is stronger! To each his own.
Old 06-03-2023, 02:08 PM

I got the idea of making quilts from poly knit from my aunt. I made a couple for my kids when they went off to college for their dorms, winter blanket for their car or outdoor 'parties'. They do wear forever. I used a railroad design in one, a 9 patch in another- just a simple design. You can use the serger for these too. Tied them using a fleece for the backing. Great way to use up these stashes of our 70's knits.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
As for polyester. I like it. I don't understand why it has taken such a beating from quilters. It is strong and I like the sheen it has. I especially like the black as it is color fast and will not fade with age. Cotton is a natural fiber that with time is going to deteriorate; polyester isn't as apt to do that. Interesting that we usually use thread that has poly so it is stronger! To each his own.
I don't like using it because it stinks when ironed and doesn't hold a crease.